Are both these openings required opinions please

janedevon

Timer frame on day 2 of erection. As usual as things come together we find ourselves rethinking, we have an open plan lounge diner from the kitchen and as you can see from dining room a set of french doors and from lounge a 4 m bifold, we are thinking as we walk around that we don't really need the french doors and could either replace with a full length window no opening or just make it a standard window, can't see the necessity to have so many doors, what's your views?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I might go for a standard door and a window alongside, or have the Frenchies such that you can just open one half easiily, on the basis that when you are just popping in and out the bifolds will be slower to open every time.

Ferdinand

Yes it's tough call, but really we don't have much wall availiable and I'm thinking a table could go next to the window rather than next to the door which would be awkward and look odd!! Tbh if it's hot bi folds will be open if cold then it's not far from the front door to go out and round.

Bifolds will leak air like a sieve and be a constant source of heat loss after they've been in a few months, so my vote would be to lose the bifolds (and save a fair bit of money and reduce the heating bills for the life of the building) and retain the French windows, with perhaps fixed glazing the other side.  No one has yet invented a bifold mechanism that doesn't end up with air leaks, either from new or within a few months of being fitted, just because the geometry of them makes it near-impossible to get a decent seal.  French windows are far better, as they can at least put a fairly even pressure on their seals when latched shut in cold weather.

I knew someone would be anti the bifolds :) but we have decided to go for them it will make the property in our eyes I know the faults, we have chosen aluminium with 10 year warranty so can only hope they hold out.

What one you can do without will depend on what your plans are for the room. As you say where will the table go, how are you likely to approach that area from the outside patio wise, answer these kind of questions to figure it out.

I would do away with bifolds and fully glaze that section. Save a lot of money as bifolds aren't cheap and then you have the airtightness issues with them.