High build stain recommondation please

8ball

Hi fellow buildies,

I am about to replace my UPVC front and back door + frames with Oak Veneer Timber Doors and hardwood frames and on the installation instructions it specifies a high build stain to protect the wood.

I had started to research a product to buy but am getting overwhelmed by the vast choices available so was wondering if someone could recommend a product they have used which turned out well?

Cheers guys

Thanks for the reply Barney12, I am looking to keep the door at its original colour. I have at last been contacted by Jen Weld the manufacturer of the door and they have told me that they cannot recommend a sealer and can only advise me to use a water based medium to high build sealer which has to be a stain (No varnishes, waxes, polishes, oils and lacquers) or I can paint the door which I do not want to do.

Nothings ever easy eh, I thought I'd do a quick side project...pah

It's a hard choice....been there. Not much comment online from users.

I have used dulux aqua preservative base coat and dulux ultimate woodstain mixed at Brewers to a light oak,  on my wooden fascia recently. It's meant to last for 10 years. Went on OK. Looks good from a distance. Just have to wait 9.5 years to see how long it lasts.

I have used Sikkens on front door and it lasted well and always recommended by trade decorators ... but since formulations changed a few years back, not much feedback online.

Sadolin has always done OK on my own windows.

• Thanks 1