Oak stairs pros and cons

Jude1234

As I hijacked another thread I have started a new one to get advice on oak stairs. I love how they look we will be having oak and glass balustrades for definite. But are they noisy and or slippy?  We have 2 teenage boys who are up and down the stairs a lot!

Slippery is matter of what you finish it with. We used Osmo polyx, and our teenage boys run around in bare feet or socks and no issues so far. Osmo also have a non slip finish if you are worried.

In terms of noise, I suspect this will depend on construction method more than anything else. If your treads are light with limited bracing you have a drum effect and resonant structure. Thicker treads will be better.

We have chunky treads with no risers. Solid and noise free unless used with hard shoes.

This is where MDF is good, it is not as resonant as a hard wood. Maybe engineered or veneered stairs?

• Thanks 1

Well we just installed oak stairs and they look fab but I would not go without carpet ( personally) so as a compromise we are having a runner with stair rods, we are still able to see the oak but have “safe” carpet to walk on.

• Thanks 1