Great_scot_selfbuild Posted 2 hours ago Posted 2 hours ago I’ve not found any examples / threads / blogs talking about installation of floating LVT click flooring (i.e. not glueing down). Has anyone got any advice or tips on doing this yourself?
MPH243 Posted 2 hours ago Posted 2 hours ago I have fitted a couple, it is basically same as wood laminate be careful with the short joints when tapping down they can crack if not right. Make sure you have expansion gaps around the edges. 1
Super_Paulie Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago Yeah I've done it. I used a block and mallet on the short sides to put that home and an offcut and mallet to bring the long side into the tongue/groove. It's a fairly satisfying project I found. Easy to cut with a straight edge and a Stanley knife, just score it and snap, jobs a good un. With the UFH I often hear the odd click of a length popping out slightly I assume, but it hasn't been a problem so far and I'm 18 months in. Also dropped SWMBO's favourite ceramic ice bucket on it which exploded into a million bits but the LVT was undamaged. What I found a pain, especially in a big room, was trying to keep the pattern random. So a plank with as many individual designs as possible is a bonus, I was always fighting it trying to randomise it. Worked out nice though I thought. 1
Great_scot_selfbuild Posted 59 minutes ago Author Posted 59 minutes ago 19 minutes ago, Super_Paulie said: Yeah I've done it. I used a block and mallet on the short sides to put that home and an offcut and mallet to bring the long side into the tongue/groove. It's a fairly satisfying project I found. Easy to cut with a straight edge and a Stanley knife, just score it and snap, jobs a good un. With the UFH I often hear the odd click of a length popping out slightly I assume, but it hasn't been a problem so far and I'm 18 months in. Also dropped SWMBO's favourite ceramic ice bucket on it which exploded into a million bits but the LVT was undamaged. What I found a pain, especially in a big room, was trying to keep the pattern random. So a plank with as many individual designs as possible is a bonus, I was always fighting it trying to randomise it. Worked out nice though I thought. @Super_Paulie that looks amazing. Excellent job! Did you have any of it flush with an edge that wasn’t under skirting? My areas of challenge are going to be the mat well at the front door and along a large sliding window which we really want a flush finish. Some have suggested gluing that section down and allowing the other areas under skirting to maintain the expansion gap, but I’m not so sure. It’s a bit of a conundrum for me atm.
Super_Paulie Posted 48 minutes ago Posted 48 minutes ago I always left an expansion gap. One can assume with UFH and the south sun beating down it's gonna move. I left it maybe 5, 8mm from the edge of the doors and put a trim over it with the trim attached to the doors rather than the floor so it can expand underneath it without bucking. The rest was just a gap that you can't see once I'd added skirting. I did ponder having a sunken mat as well but ultimately couldn't be arsed with the hassle. My plan was the same as above with a trim from the mat well and then over the edge onto the floor with the LVT edge covered by this, I guess like an upside down L shape. Like I say I didn't go for it, so couldn't really advise on that one. 1
MPH243 Posted 2 minutes ago Posted 2 minutes ago 1 hour ago, Super_Paulie said: Yeah I've done it. I used a block and mallet on the short sides to put that home and an offcut and mallet to bring the long side into the tongue/groove. It's a fairly satisfying project I found. Easy to cut with a straight edge and a Stanley knife, just score it and snap, jobs a good un. With the UFH I often hear the odd click of a length popping out slightly I assume, but it hasn't been a problem so far and I'm 18 months in. Also dropped SWMBO's favourite ceramic ice bucket on it which exploded into a million bits but the LVT was undamaged. What I found a pain, especially in a big room, was trying to keep the pattern random. So a plank with as many individual designs as possible is a bonus, I was always fighting it trying to randomise it. Worked out nice though I thought. Looks very nice Yes do what has been described above. Also leave a expansion along the doors with trim fixed to doors. The guys I work for fitted some and it buckled in front of the bifold doors, I took it up and relaid it and made sure all expansion gaps etc, and it still buckled. We think it's was the flooring but I would always leave a gap now as it is a massive hassle if it goes wrong. And do not do H pattern it is even more likely to happen.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now