When the attic space exceeds 50 sqm of space

MariaD

Hi everyone, I’m planning to build a detached four-bedroom house in Ireland and would like the attic space to be habitable.

I understand that additional fire safety regulations will apply if the attic space exceeds 50 sqm.

However, I’m unsure whether the 50 sqm threshold includes the space taken up by the stairs and hallways, or if it only applies to the rooms themselves. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Any help is much appreciated.

28 minutes ago, MariaD said:

I asked a similar question in relation to our house.

The most sensible reply was (among a wide range of others)  treat the area as if it exceeds the threshold anyway. 

Followed by " In a fire, would you like to be stuck up there just because you'd saved a few quid ?"

We don't have to think too far back to what Value Engineering can do in relation to fires and survivability

2 hours ago, MariaD said:

Hi everyone, I’m planning to build a detached four-bedroom house in Ireland and would like the attic space to be habitable.

I understand that additional fire safety regulations will apply if the attic space exceeds 50 sqm.

However, I’m unsure whether the 50 sqm threshold includes the space taken up by the stairs and hallways, or if it only applies to the rooms themselves. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Hi Maria and welcome from Cork. 

• Like 1