Coving or not?

John Keith

We will be building a 3 bed detached house to be sold once completed. Most new builds don't seem to use coving. Maybe it's my age but it looks unfinished. What are peoples preferences, coving or not? Maybe just the lounge and kitchen/diner?

18 minutes ago, John Keith said:

coving

Bit 1990s. I hate it, except proper plaster coving in proper period properties. Modern stuff used to hide shoddy work from everything I have ever seen. Nice sharp internal corners for me.

We put coving in the lounge, TV room, and downstairs hallway.  Its nice in the lounge and tv room as they are both quite large square rooms, but less good in the hallway.

what I do regret not doing is incorporating led into it,  I think that can look high end.

I think coving can look good in a big grand house (or room), but perhaps less so in a more modest house.

As you’re selling it on if I were you I’d not put it in.  I doubt a potential buyer isn’t going to buy a house because it doesn’t have coving, but if someone doesn’t like it it’s a PITA to remove it.

When we bought our current house in 91 it had no coving in any room - before we moved in we had the whole house done. When we added the extension in 2009 we didn’t add coving but pretty soon did because the rooms even when finished didn’t look it.

We like it - we liked it in the 90’s and we still like it now.

However as stated it’s relatively easy to add but not as easy to remove all traces if you don’t like it so if it’s being built to sell I wouldn’t add it (and save the cost)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Bit 1990s. I hate it, except proper plaster coving in proper period properties. Modern stuff used to hide shoddy work from everything I have ever seen.

Agree with this, and even if you spent out on 'proper' fibrous plaster covings you probably may not have the ceiling height to really set it off. If you have tall ceilings consider 2-part (ceiling/wall) covings and a picture rail!