Fitting advice

JohnnyB

I'm looking for advice on sealing around the windows and doors in our hempcrete house.

I was thinking I would use compriband tape and then airtight tape on the inside between window frame and studwork but the hempcrete doesn't have a smooth even finish and there are gaps under the timber spacers fixed to the timber frame.

Does compriband expand into small gaps and holes to seal tight againest the weather or would I be better to use FM330 foam and then us something else in the gap between the frame and wall to insulate the gap? 

If I used the foam any ideas on options to insulate the gap if it doesn't have compriband tape in there? Compriband would seem a little expensive/overkill if I use FM330 to seal the outside.

The outside is timber clad so I will have timber around the outside reveal and the inside will have woodwool board and then plastered.

Also any thoughts on fixing plates? I was thinking of simple metal strips but are there other options?

Thanks,

Johnny

DSC_18641.thumb.JPG.97b5f324f4fd3027f2fec67398efecab.JPG

4 hours ago, Nick Laslett said:

@JohnnyB, I have some left over rolls of compriband, various expansion thickness if you want some to experiment with. TP651

https://www.illbruck.com/en-gb/products-systems/product-finder/tp651-trio/

Thank you Nick, that is very kind.  cuold you send me your address please and I'll head round at some point very soon

4 hours ago, Redbeard said:

Perhaps a v 'tight' coat of plaster (I would use lime, as I like it) for the Compriband to 'bear' on?

Yes, that would work but I'm not sure I have the time.  I would need to wait for the plasterer to come and put a thin coat on and then let it dry before I could fit the windows. The windows are arrive about the same time the plasterer is coming to start on the internal walls.   My previous attempts at plastering have been terrible so I'm not going to try doing it myself.