Anyone with an MBC Timber Frame that has (or is aiming for) PassivHaus certification?

Kevin Dawson

2 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

It's all about optimisation in the end

I'm doing that at the moment, just installed Open Energy Monitor (ace system). Had a nice wet cool day today and currently about 9 degrees, so have been optimising cycle times at low loads. Increased CoP by 1 with a little tweaking. By shortening cycle times to get a more balanced on and off time. Will do a bit more tomorrow before it's too warm.

24 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

I'm doing that at the moment, just installed Open Energy Monitor (ace system). Had a nice wet cool day today and currently about 9 degrees, so have been optimising cycle times at low loads. Increased CoP by 1 with a little tweaking. By shortening cycle times to get a more balanced on and off time. Will do a bit more tomorrow before it's too warm.

Yes but how will you programme your findings into your controller if you cannot talk to it and tell it the rules or use some external computing power to tell it what to do?

All I am doing is altering the following once set, I will try to forget 

Stop start hysterisis for the ASHP compressor. This determines how cool the floor is allowed to get before the compressor starts (based on return temperature) and stop hysterisis how long the compressor runs, and final flow temp before compressor stops. Once happy with how that responds, getting the right balance between CoP and energy use (they are very different things) I will then fine tune the WC curve. Once complete it will automate itself without external interference.

Thanks all, some good (and sometimes spirited) input and opinions on here.  For sure everyone's needs and approaches to their heating systems will be different to different degrees (no pun intended) but the value of forums like these is the diversity of the Q&A that offers those different perspectives from which we can all learn - so keep it up.

Anyway, the original question remains - anyone here with a certified PassivHaus from an MBC timber frame who'd be willing to compare some notes?