Carpenters studwork/Wall Costs Query

Neutrino

Hi All,

Not sure if the rite section, but it seemed fitting. Over the years for my business, i have mostly done a lot of the expansion work myself (annoyingly only just found this forum, would have helped over the years!). A query on pricing has come up and thought it would be good to get some eyes on it.

It’s a carpenter we have been using for a while. But, over the years the prices have been going up, and more recently exponentially – coincidently as our company is growing. The work is good, and I don’t feel the need to move to a new carpenter. But just have the nagging feeling on his most recent quote to see if its reasonable, which was actually triggered by a quote from them for £2.2k to do a few small bits and pieces over a few days and it didn’t quite sit right.

We have a new unit, its about 40m x 8m, all the interior outer walls are done/ready – we are adding in the middle of this space some rooms. It works out to about 50 linear metres of stud wall. Its 7 new rooms in a space that’s 12m x 9m The space is actually 3m high and then open arch to ceiling. Over the area of these rooms there will be a ceiling being put in as well. So plasterboard/studwork goes up to 2.4m, as above will essentially be a “attic”. All walls with plasterboard and rockwool. There is 5 single doors and two double doors to be hung and framed. It includes skirting in all spaces etc. They will also lay the laminate floor in all the rooms

Price is labour and materials. It doesn’t include doors, or laminate flooring. So the price is all of the wood/plasterboard basically. Total is £16.5k. Hopefully this is either reasonable, or good value, but I don’t have anything to compare it against.

Thanks for any feedback.

Very difficult to be sure tbh, but at that price, I would get a couple of other quotes, to see if it is fair for your area. Or as Dave suggested, buy the materials yourself and project manage it with people on day rates.