Locating existing borehole

Kuro507

2 hours ago, Adrian Walker said:

All boreholes are/should be registered at  https://www.bgs.ac.uk/information-hub/borehole-records/

This is a record of a borehole near (100 metres) me in 1929 

well.png

I had looked on their previously, its definately not there.

Is it mandatory for all installers of boreholes to register them, if only for private use and less than the daily limit?

2 hours ago, Kuro507 said:

I had looked on their previously, its definately not there.

Is it mandatory for all installers of boreholes to register them, if only for private use and less than the daily limit?

To be legal I think all boreholes have to be registered. The fine for extraction over the limit is very large.  Have you had the water tested?

17 minutes ago, Adrian Walker said:

To be legal I think all boreholes have to be registered. The fine for extraction over the limit is very large.  Have you had the water tested?

Water has been tested, quality is ok, Ph needs slightly adjusting (its 6.8) but I suspect the Ph unit is empty of media. Also recomendation to install filter and UV to meet modern standards.

A guick google does show sites talking about it being a requirement to register boreholes in England, will research further.

No way we are going to use anything like 20,000 litres a day though, to exceed the limit. We don't use that in a year in our current home 😂

1 hour ago, Kuro507 said:

Water has been tested, quality is ok, Ph needs slightly adjusting (its 6.8) but I suspect the Ph unit is empty of media. Also recomendation to install filter and UV to meet modern standards.

A guick google does show sites talking about it being a requirement to register boreholes in England, will research further.

No way we are going to use anything like 20,000 litres a day though, to exceed the limit. We don't use that in a year in our current home 😂

OK.  The only issue might be if/when you come to sell the property if the borehole isn't registered.  Just heard that if the borehole is less than 15 metres deep it doesn't have to be registered. 

It might be different in Scotland but the boreholes local to me are all 60m+ and two of the three houses sold in the last 5 years. Anyway, @Kuro507 is in the process of completing on this house with an unregistered borehole. The advantage of it being registered is, in theory anyway, you get a drilling report that shows where it is and a bunch of useful information about the borehole. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adrian Walker said:

OK.  The only issue might be if/when you come to sell the property if the borehole isn't registered.  Just heard that if the borehole is less than 15 metres deep it doesn't have to be registered. 

I will definitely ask my Solicitor whether it needs to be registered, from what I heard it was drilled in 1994, so not recent. 
I believe it’s around 30m down.