Building Control Statatory 3 month inspections

RC28

Hi,

I'm part way through a new build which started in early 2021, the house is taking much longer than expected (finances, building material increases and redundancy have got in the way) we're aiming for BC completion at the end of this year.

Our private BC has completed the stage inspections along the way as requested, in addition has visited periodically every 3 months (not at my request, this is due to legislation they say). Today BC have contacted me wanting to invoice for these periodic visits.

Has anyone been in this situation or heard of these periodic 3 monthly visits? Just asking as the extra £2k in fees will not be good.

FYI as some background, the BC quote was based on 8 site visits, the quote says "Any additional site visits over the agreed number of 8 may be subject to additional charges".  There has been no mention that these unrequested visits would be chargeable up until this point.

Thanks for the help.

15 minutes ago, RC28 said:

in addition has visited periodically every 3 months (not at my request, this is due to legislation they say).

I would ask them to show you where the legislation says this. (I have never heard of this!).

• Like 1

3 month visits are probably not statutory per se but part of the performance standard required of private BCO's by their regulator. Things were tightened up a few years ago and now the private sector don't like lengthy projects as they reflect on their statistics. Bit late now but if you expect a project to last a long time then choose LA BC because they don't really care.

As to fees you are in the realm of private contracts for a supply of services. You'll need to query this charge as you would with any surprise charge from any other supplier. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kandgmitchell said:

You'll need to query this charge as you would with any surprise charge from any other supplier. 

+1 if this was not specified at the outset.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. 

They have been pushing me for the last 6 months or so. Wanting a programme of works, tying me down to completion dates and threatening to pass over to LABC if the build isn't completed in line with the programme.

They were completing the inspections alongside my buildzone warranty inspections until around April this year, at that point they said they could no longer offer the buildzone warranty inspection so that element has been passed over to another warranty provider.

Its got very messy, the threats of passing over to LABC aren't helping.

52 minutes ago, kandgmitchell said:

3 month visits are probably not statutory per se but part of the performance standard required of private BCO's by their regulator. Things were tightened up a few years ago and now the private sector don't like lengthy projects as they reflect on their statistics. Bit late now but if you expect a project to last a long time then choose LA BC because they don't really care.

As to fees you are in the realm of private contracts for a supply of services. You'll need to query this charge as you would with any surprise charge from any other supplier. 

Thanks, yes it wasn't supposed to take this long! will definitely consider local authority building control in the future.

30 minutes ago, RC28 said:

will definitely consider local authority building control in the future.

I have always used local authority and although we have disagreed a couple of times (but sorted it out) found them good.

our private BC company have recently contacted me saying that they need to visit every 3 months, this is like the OP 3 years into the build.  When I questioned this they mentioned changes in legislation.

He came out last week and is coming again Wed to meet with the SE on site.

No mention of charging, but our contact, which I questioned at the time, said visits for each stage however many times that is all included in the price.

As we are building in 4 or 5 phases and only just moving to phase 2 then he will be here a lot.

But, he's been really helpful and has suggested cost saving ideas, hence the SE meeting this week.

He is a biker and has a massive stately home project nearby so does tend to pop in when he's passing.

On 12/08/2024 at 11:51, RC28 said:

They have been pushing me for the last 6 months or so. Wanting a programme of works, tying me down to completion dates and threatening to pass over to LABC if the build isn't completed in line with the programme.

This sounds about right, the regulator clamped down hard on private BC companies and they are all now into this chase, chase, progess, progress approach. I think they have to report how many jobs are outstanding for over 12 months as well now. Not good for self builders who tend to have a "in my own time" approach. Perhaps this ought to be brought to a wider BH audience just to make people aware of what they may face.