Where to buy Schneider enclosure fasteners?

Jeremy Harris

A while ago I bought a Schneider steel enclosure, a NSYSBMC303012, 300mm x 300mm x 120mm, Spacial series.  It houses the power supply and switch gear for my lathe brushless motor conversion It's a long story, but the crappy brushed motor and speed control fitted to my Chinese lathe has been nothing but trouble from the start, I've burned out two motors and one controller and it was clear that the piddly little brushed motor is nowhere near its supposed 450 W rating, so I've fitted a 4 kW rated brushless motor and speed control unit, de-rated to 700 W, which has made a tremendous difference, the lathe seems to be at least three times more powerful now, with loads more torque.

Anyway, I mounted all this stuff inside this nice strong steel enclosure, which is screwed to the wall, and fitted with a new no-volt contactor etc.  When I bought the enclosure, there was a plastic bag containing all the various grommets, seals, fasteners etc, with each set in a different zip lock bag within the outer bag.  Somehow I've managed to lose the bag that had the 4 off half-turn fasteners, that hold the lid on.  These are large cross headed 3mm shaft diameter fasteners, that fit through the grey lid grommets (which I fitted to the lid, so I didn't lose them!).  They have a coarse half-turn thread affair at the end, that engages in a specially shaped cut out in the main enclosure.

I've hunted high and low for a source of these fasteners, none of the electrical factors seem to stock them, neither do places like RS or Farnell.  All I can find are the replacement triangular head security fasteners for this enclosure range, but they are £10 EACH!!!,  http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/enclosure-accessories/7839460/ , or this even more expensive type http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/enclosure-accessories/7839467/ .   Having seen these, I was motivated to spend a couple of hours searching everywhere I could think of trying to find the ones I've misplaced (I'm sure I put them somewhere safe - I just can't remember where).

Does anyone know where I can buy just 4 off of the standard Schneider fasteners, please?  These are used on a wide range of Schneider enclosures as far as I can tell.

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Talk to Peter Gibb at Medlocs in Crayford he might be able to help you (and will post).

Thanks, will do on Monday.

It seems daft that you can't just easily buy these fasteners, I'd have thought they were the sort of spare part that would go missing on a fairly regular basis.............

Yes, but I think I have a bodge.  I've dug out some spire clips, plus some large head stainless self tappers, so with a bit if luck i can fit the spire slips to the case and get the self tappers to hold the lid on.  I doesn't need to be waterproof, as it's screwed to the wall in the workshop.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

Yes, but I think I have a bodge.  I've dug out some spire clips, plus some large head stainless self tappers, so with a bit if luck i can fit the spire slips to the case and get the self tappers to hold the lid on.  I doesn't need to be waterproof, as it's screwed to the wall in the workshop.

Did you call Peter? If not do you want me to make an enquiry?

Just now, Onoff said:

Did you call Peter? If not do you want me to make an enquiry?

No thanks, I found a local branch of Medlocks and called them.  They were pretty helpful, but could only supply the special (expensive) any-tamper screws, but not the standard posi-head screws that the thing came with.

For now I reckon that the combination of the spire clips and stainless self tappers will do the job, I think.