L9 Error - Flow rate - Ecodan 8.5kW ASHP

Hi all,

I have had a dozen L9 errors since my install about 18 months ago. In that time I have a one full service.

The L9 error I'm well aware of it being a flow rate issue.

Around June of this year I had a random L9 error and just reset the controller and all was well again.

July this year it happened again twice so I called out the installers ( they have gone bust but running under a different name ) On that point the guys who worked for this company are still local and were laid off with a days notice but one of them is a mitsibushi tech guy. I have no doubt the installation was carried out fine. My neighbour has the mirror of my new build and he has the identical system to me and installed by the same installers.

The now defunct company sent out a nice chap who wasn't proficient in Mitsibushi heat pumps. He checked the filters but was unsure how to resolve and left with an open ticket to do some research. This isn't what I need and will endeavour to push for a mitsibushi heat pump professional. 

In the mean time I was not able to call for heat after he left and no hot water went to the tank. Every 10 mins or so the L9 error happened. Then I noticed the pressure in the system was around zero ( this I guess is because the engineer they sent over flushed or check the two filters which I guess would have dropped the pressure and he didn't re-pressurise )!! Anyway I've re-pressurised it to 1.6 bar as per mitsibushi's guidance and still it L9 error's

Now to the bit that has confused me and why I'm here. 

I have changed the source of power to immersion in the service setting by altering the setting on the controller from 'standard' to 'heater' This engaged the system and does actually heat up the tank.

So all I can say is that there is a lot of stuff up in the loft. I've bypassed the ASHP heating the water up but something up in my loft where all the gear is, is not working correctly.

Any thoughts before I call out someone detached from the company who is honouring the warranty install but has since gone bust!!

Edited by athlonoc

• athlonoc changed the title to L9 Error - Flow rate - Ecodan 8.5kW ASHP

Has your system been maintained annually?

If yes then I would contact Mitsubishi directly and explain the situation.  They may send one of their engineers directly to you and resolve under warranty.

• Like 1

Have you tried powering down and back on again? Sometimes changes are not detected until you do this.

Also could this video help - includes remedial steps you may be able to do yourself

• Like 1

When you re-pressurised it, did you bleed all air out? Make sure all air valves are open as trapped air can also cause flow rate issues.

• Like 1

The Bin Man-Thanks for the reply, yes it's had its annual maintenance and last one was 6 months ago. I'll call them today if this doesn't get resolved.

PhilT- Can you confirm how to power down. I've seen this video and followed it a couple of times before. The soft reset is done but that isn't having the desired effect. 

akjos- No I didn't but will do that now and then see what happens

Thank you all

Lee

Also forgot to mention that when it started doing this again 2 days ago, the radiators were luke warm. I only noticed this as I got my towel from the towel radiator and noticed it then! Does this point to something.

My controller also constantly shows the play symbol on the hot water, which indicates it permanently trying to heat the water to 48. It's as though it hasn't finished it's attempt to heat to 48. Is there a way to stop it from doing this?

1 hour ago, athlonoc said:

The Bin Man-Thanks for the reply, yes it's had its annual maintenance and last one was 6 months ago. I'll call them today if this doesn't get resolved.

PhilT- Can you confirm how to power down. I've seen this video and followed it a couple of times before. The soft reset is done but that isn't having the desired effect. 

akjos- No I didn't but will do that now and then see what happens

Thank you all

Lee

Turn off the power to all the indoor (FTC and main control panel) hardware. Turn off the heat pump isolator switch. Wait five minutes. Turn back on the indoor controls, then the heat pump. Wait till the FTC control panel has powered up and is in reset mode (blank screen) then press the on button (far right on my FTC)

On 29/07/2024 at 19:14, athlonoc said:

Hi Beelbeebub, Well spotted and thank you. I have now informed them that what they left me with and to be honest it's a schoolboy error on their behalf.

Holy crap! 

That was the problem!? 

Red faces with the installer it think! 

Still glad it's sorted.