Concrete Floor Sealer

Good Evening,
Can anyone suggest a good concrete sealer. We have a cement screed floor (Cemfloor) that has a good surface, so that is going to be our finished floor, it just needs a clear sealer. I've used a product called SmartSeal on a trial area, but it didn't perform as expected. I tried a small drop of red wine and it made a stain. Has anyone experience of a good product to use? Thanks.

Well done for doing the test.  Ask the manufacturer why it does not perform correctly.  Let us know what they say.  They were top of my search results.  I would hope they are not diverting the money intended to create a decent product to advertising.

Edited by Mr Punter

Is the screed fully dried out? Have you tried simple watered down PVA?

You'll need to do something with edges / expansion points. We've left our basement as bare cemfloor, and it's crumbling and cracking at door thresholds etc where it meets the foam perimeter.

Edited by Conor

Thanks for the reply. Yes, screed down over 12 months ago, so good to go. We are living a another part of the house and now moving in to the screeded area. I was thinking of diluted SBR only because it's not supposed to re-emulsify when it gets wet. I was just concerned it might change the colour. Our edges seem pretty good so far but yes we were going to put a strip of 18mm ply to hide the perimeter strip. Need to try a few test areas at different strengths. Cheers.

7 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Well done for doing the test.  Ask the manufacturer why it does not perform correctly.  Let us know what they say.  They were top of my search results.  I would hope they are not diverting the money intended to create a decent product to advertising.

Hi, yes they do talk a good job and seem to dominate this field with their advertising. I'll give it a go. Thanks.

On 23/07/2024 at 08:10, tuftythesquirrel said:

I sent them an email telling the the issue. The MD called me back so that was a plus. I ended up talking to a tech support guy. I explained I'd left the red wine on the floor for hours and it left a mark. He said that it was a sealer not a sealant, which is a different product. Their opinion was the wine was removed within an hour or so, it wouldn't have marked. So I might do a back to back comparison with this and diluted SBR to see what they look like on the floor.