Wet UFH

Could someone please offer a thought on the following. I'm planning on having the radiators in a dining room/kitchen replaced with wet UFH. This is a refurbishment of an existing property and will need a level of PIR putting in ahead of the underfloor heating pipes. Is this wet UFH installation in an existing property something I would need to involve building control on? thanks in advance, Sarah

19 minutes ago, Sarah29 said:

Is this wet UFH installation in an existing property something I would need to involve building control on

Wouldn't expect so.

You just need to ensure you have lots of insulation under it. About 150mm of PIR, anything less you will paying to heat up the outside world.

150mm is 'high end' unless substantial renovation and major project work is undertaken. Realistically the difference between 50 and 150mm in an extension is probably a couple hundred ££ a year?

We put in 160mm....but forever home and total newbuild biased out decision. But a degree of pragmatism is required if this isn't the case for you.

My parents had 75mm UFH put in several years ago in a total refurb old stone 4 bed house, (no cavities, but PIR plasterboard), and their bills are 75% more then ours, even though we put £1000s into upgraded insulation everywhere in our high end new build.

Edited by Andehh