Old Cracking Grout / Slightly Blown Tile

I noticed whilst doing a deep clean on our en-suite shower today that the grout has seen better days. It's not flaking out but a couple of vertical runs have hairline cracks and other parts look a bit pitted. No tiles are actually moving / coming away but a couple along the bottom row sound hollow on the edges if knocked with my knuckle. The shower is seldom used, we tend to favor baths and have a much larger shower in the bathroom. It's probably been caught early.

I know the grout is around 14 years old so it must be past it's serviceable life. The issue is the tiles are set on plasterboard walls and I suspect they are not hardeibacker style by virtue of the couple of slightly blown tiles. I am rather hoping that the grout can be removed and renewed with perhaps tending to the couple of slightly blown tiles at the bottom. However, when removing the old grout, of course further issues may surface.

The other idea I had was to just to remove the shower cubicle and aqua-panel over the top. A bit of a bodge but it's seldom used. I just want to avoid the need to take all the tiles off, replace the plasterboard and re-tile.

Perhaps I am being too optimistic.

IMG_3774.jpg

IMG_3775.jpg

IMG_3776.jpg

IMG_3777.jpg

If it was me, I'd re-grout (just scrape off any loose grout and re-apply) and re-silicone the join with the tray and that should be good for another 5 years.

If tiles are actually loose, then by all means take off an re-mount and re-grout also, but I wouldn't pull any off that are stuck fairly firmly.

Check the drain if you're feeling thorough.

A day max if there are no loose tiles.

57 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

If it was me, I'd re-grout (just scrape off any loose grout and re-apply) and re-silicone the join with the tray and that should be good for another 5 years.

If tiles are actually loose, then by all means take off an re-mount and re-grout also, but I wouldn't pull any off that are stuck fairly firmly.

Check the drain if you're feeling thorough.

A day max if there are no loose tiles.

Seems to make sense to me... I know some would say rip the lot out and do it properly but that's a whole lot of upheaval for a shower that's used no more than 10 times a year.