Fitting coping stones to a parapet wall

Posted (edited)

I have capped my parapet wall in code 5 lead. Under the lead I have building paper, osb3 and then a cavity tray with weep vents.

To finish I have some cast concrete coping stones, which will give a 50mm overhang on both sides, with drip channels. I have GRP on one side, and surecav on the other.

I am trying to make it leak proof for many years. Have I missing anything?

To fit the coping stones, should I put a layer of bitumen paint, or silicone a DPC on? The main reason would be to prevent the cement reacting with the lead. But I was also thinking about thermal movement of the lead which the DPC could perhaps help with.

For the mortar, would you go for a  3:1 mix as per NHBC guidelines? Is it worth putting fibres in, or some mesh?

PXL_20240622_112330835.jpg

Edited by goodbyegti
typo

BF54FE1A-B591-4CE1-BF2B-8FA529D27DA9.thumb.jpeg.31e75c4aaede2ed939281163d0cee086.jpegBF54FE1A-B591-4CE1-BF2B-8FA529D27DA9.thumb.jpeg.31e75c4aaede2ed939281163d0cee086.jpegI simply lapped the fibreglass over the plywood’s that I’d fitted over the cavity Then laid the copings on mortar 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Both good suggestions. GRP over the top would have given me a problem wrapping over the stone on the other side. I did like the lead on its own, but keen to get a drip channel on the coping to keep the water off the wall.

In the end, I had some Resitrix primer left over, and that stuck to the lead nicely. So there's synthetic rubber between the mortar now. Probably overkill!