Can you fall a patio against slope of land

Posted (edited)

Hi all,
I've got a concept design for a large patio area but struggling to work out if I should be falling the patio away from the house, which means its working against the natural slope of the land. i.e. is that even achievable? 

The blue arrows are the way i want to fall the patio as its away from the house.

The orange asterix is 12 metres from the opposite corner of the patio (under the trees opposite)

The red arrows are the natural slope of the land. It not a massive slope but if I do a 1:80 fall it means that the end closest to the steps need to be 150mm higher which then starts making the steps too steep over that area.

One idea i had was to put in a channel drain just at the top of the steps, right across the patio and then using the natural slope of the land to direct the water into the drain. (There will be another drain at the bottom of the steps with the lower patio by the house falling towards that)

Would love to hear the thoughts of members as to how they've handled similar design for draining on large patio's with the natural fall going back to ward the house. Is the top patio far enough away from the house not to worry about the fall going towards the house? 

image.thumb.png.34e48a560e5f14ac437f46b8f6ab7c2e.png

Edited by connick159

image.thumb.png.e4304c3f2dc8598355b54956687db8a7.png

Here is the alternative i've thought of.

This red lines are channel drains.

Pink line is a french land drain drain.

Thick red lines fall of land.

Blue lines are fall on the patio.

Which would you do?

As you have worked out, second one is probably best. Priority is to ensure the adjacent paving falls (slightly) away from the house. Then it is a matter of working with the lay of the land as best you can. Trying to make the top patio fall away from the house may need a lot more excavation and a step/retaining wall

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bonner said:

As you have worked out, second one is probably best. Priority is to ensure the adjacent paving falls (slightly) away from the house. Then it is a matter of working with the lay of the land as best you can. Trying to make the top patio fall away from the house may need a lot more excavation and a step/retaining wall

is 1:80 fall adequate for next to the house? a bit of mixed info out there.

I am not aware of any particular standard, as long as rainwater does not run towards the house or pool on the slabs, 1:80 should be fine