Required switch for the job

Hi All 

We have a client project on currently and the electrician isn’t so up on his network cabling/distribution so just wondered if I could pick the brains of those who are, to find a cost effective but efficient solution for my client. 

The house has been first fixed with cat 6 throughout which supplies a combination of Ubiquiti’s, RJ45’s for general distribution of internet, and a doorbell camera. 

The ubiquiti’s have been second fixed but aren’t working currently, even though plugged direct into the router, as I believe it needs a switch. 

What switch (and anything else additional) would be required to power up the AP’s, RJ45’s and doorbell?

thanks in advance!

Sam

You shouldn't need a switch assuming you have enough ports on your router. You can configure using unifi network server (I think it's called), a cloud key or something like UDM pro.

I run my router in bridge mode and have a UDM pro doing the routing, but previously I have used cloud key and the software.

You need POE if running Ubiquiti Access Points , so hence need a router with POE which I suspect you don’t have.  So you need to go. Router —> POE switch —> Access Point. 

or you can go router —> POE converter — access point.  But each converter will need a plug socket.

If you want / need full control eg vlan support, multiple WiFi (eg user and IOT) then you’ll need a cloud key.  Otherwise you can run via the UniFi app and configure them.   

Re your door bell. Is that POE as well? 

I use a UniFi 24 port switch which has 16 POE+ ports and 8 none POE.   

Edited by PNAmble

Hi all, just to reply to all gratefully received replies. 

- the router doesn’t have enough ports regardless, I think we have approx 22 with all in. 

- yes the doorbell is Poe - haven’t actually bought yet but will likely be a ring one. 

- With the unifi 24 port switch is that relatively plug and play and will it power the doorbell over POE but then also be accessible through the network over Cat6, or will the doorbell require the usual WiFi connection in addition to POE?

thanks all

Sam

31 minutes ago, SC5490 said:

Hi all, just to reply to all gratefully received replies. 

- the router doesn’t have enough ports regardless, I think we have approx 22 with all in. 

- yes the doorbell is Poe - haven’t actually bought yet but will likely be a ring one. 

- With the unifi 24 port switch is that relatively plug and play and will it power the doorbell over POE but then also be accessible through the network over Cat6, or will the doorbell require the usual WiFi connection in addition to POE?

thanks all

Sam

if you door bell is ethernet POE then that will be powered by the switch as long as the port it is connected to is PoE.   any switch you get will be plug and play,  connect it to your router and power it up.     Note that not all your port requirements will need to be POE, only things like access points, doorbells, cctv will need to be.  if you have lots of POE devices then you may need to consider the overall power requirements.  I'm running about 35w (max 95) for 5 APs and a CCTV camera at the moment. 

I use netgear unmanaged poe switches . When I need more I just daisy chain another in . I use to keep poe and non poe connections seperate but that became a pita . So if I allow for potentially everything to be poe it’s not an issue . The netgear switches allow for a bigger psu if you need more juice along poe . Though with 3 switches I just place ‘high powered ‘ things on a seperate switch . Around 50 devices including 8 poe ip cameras .