Timber frame allowing for close proximity to neighbours….

G and J

2 minutes ago, Bozza said:

Be very careful.  A few years ago neighbour in my parents street built a modest two storey TF extension, maybes 2-3 metres wide. It ended up uncomfortably close to the neighbours boundary / house than permitted.    I think the reason was the extension was stepped in from the front elevation but for structural  reasons when building they had to move if forward a bit more than expected and because the two houses were at an angle the extension front corner ended closer than planned.  By about an inch or two.

my understanding is that is was resolved with planning dept as an amended or retrospective application that was granted on the basis that the “victim” hadn’t objected.  This was because the applicant had compensated them with an huge amount of money comparative to the cost of the extension. The applicant has no choice because if the neighbour had objected they would have had to demo it, and probably abandoned the project.  I believe the error and compensation costs double the cost of the extension.

it does look bad TBH as on the eye it’s is uncomfortably close. 

We are replacing a bungalow which is on a narrow site which thankfully doesn’t taper front or back.  Whilst we are extending the footprint a bit at the back we are under no illusions that the external finish has to be no nearer our boundary on either side than the current bungalow.  But yours is a point well made. 

1 hour ago, JackOfNoTrades said:

This is precisely what I'm doing. The wall facing the boundary has fibre cement board cladding, and I'm having treated larch elsewhere. 

Double check your SE is happy with this too. I wanted to replace my external OSB3 with cement board sheathing, but have been told I need to add it in addition to the OSB as they couldn't find the details on the cement board to do accurate racking calcs. 

We are keeping the larch down the sides for aesthetic reasons, and we are told we can, albeit treated for fire retardancy, but that we have to frame with cement board rather than OSB3.  This is from the architect rather than the SE, as we haven’t got an SE yet.  I think in my castings it would be prudent to assume both OSB3 and cement board, just in case…

Thank you for sharing that.

Woo hoo!

I’m celebrating, I finally managed to produce a sensible looking ubakus wall build up dooberry thingy.  

Now I need my homework marked….. (should I be worried about the red colour on the drying reserve measure?  It goes away if I turn off the PIR layer).

IMG_2799.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JackOfNoTrades said:

Double check your SE is happy with this too. I wanted to replace my external OSB3 with cement board sheathing, but have been told I need to add it in addition to the OSB as they couldn't find the details on the cement board to do accurate racking calcs. 

@JackOfNoTrades was that with the cement board sheathing directly onto the OSB3 or was it battened first?