Keeping external lights in zone

Super_Paulie

I can't seem to find any examples of this which probably answers my question. 

I need to install my patio lights but I want to bring the feed/switch from inside to out. I can't get that in zone unless I drill at an angle from the outside, I've got to move roughly 100mm sideways from the outside skin through the cavity to emerge inside in zone. 

Is this an acceptable thing to do? Id rather not bring the feed externally in conduit if I can help it.

It’s always a bit of a problem figuring out how to keep outside lights in safe zones. 

Sometimes involving drilling at angles or adding extra sockets etc to form a new safe zone. 

Yeah I mean I could add a blanked off socket but I'd rather not as it would be below unit level for aesthetics so a bit of a folly. I can drill at an angle to get it in zone, just wasn't sure if that's a no-no.

Regulation 522.6.202 is the reference here - https://professional-electrician.com/technical/why-contractors-need-to-apply-due-diligence-when-installing-cables-embedded-in-thin-walls-or-partitions-niceic/

The easiest method would appear to be SWA to the outside; perhaps to a junction box and then to the lights from that location? I presume these are mains voltage lights and not SELV or PELV?

Bear in mind you are protecting the first 50mm of the cable entering the fabric of the building though, so if that first 50mm was in a prescribed zone (behind your fitting?) and the last 50mm was also in a prescribed zone, then that 100mm sideways may not be a big issue...

Perhaps a drawing would help with more options?

Post pictures of what is on the outside, and the corresponding inside.

I usually solve this by putting the switch for the lights on the inside if the wall they are fixed to and the switch creates the safe zone for the cables.

i dont have any photos at the moment as im at work but here is a sketch. Top down, if that make sense, the cable will be the usual in a 20mm pipe sloping away from the wall. Its not a huge distance to drill at the angle and it would be tricky to relocate the light switch at this time as the feed and 2-ways from it are all in place. Not impossible, just tricky. SO i was hoping that drilling at the angle might work, but im aware i might be on dodgy ground which im trying to avoid.

image.png

Just drill at an angle.  I would drill from inside, taking care as you are nearly through to go gentle to avoid bursting the brick.

Drilling from outside, you might miss the switch.

If drilling from outside, be prepared for missing the light switch or drilling through an existing cable in the wall (which you will have isolated at the CU first just in case)  and be prepared for making good the mess you make of the plaster inside.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ProDave said:

If drilling from outside, be prepared for missing the light switch or drilling through an existing cable in the wall (which you will have isolated at the CU first just in case)  and be prepared for making good the mess you make of the plaster inside.

Inside is still at block stage and the switch and wires to it are way lower than the outside light so it'll be fine 👍

Edited by Super_Paulie