Internorm window questions

Hi all,

I’ve had Internorm windows fitted recently and have a few questions about them:

1)  On the KV350 with integrated blinds, there are what look like black plastic corner protectors on all four corners of the outer window pane, glued on.  On one of the windows one is missing and another has come loose.  What are these and is not having them a problem?

2) One integrated blind is quite wonky.  Is it possible to adjust this?  If so how?

3) One KF410 window has water inside the bottom outer seal constantly.  I notice there are drainage holes below this channel that does let water out.  Is it normal for water to collect here?

Pics attached.

Thanks

IMG_7770.jpeg

IMG_7769.jpeg

IMG_7781.jpeg

IMG_7782.jpeg

IMG_7777.jpeg

We have similar windows, may be the same, with the internal blind. 

1. Those plastic bits look like transit protection, at least we certainly don’t have them, so I would have thought they should all have been removed.

2. It must be possible to adjust the blinds but I don’t know how and never had to, the instructions should give a clue.

3. The water, that’s got to be wrong as well, at least we’ve never had that.

You need to go back to the supplier/installer and raise all these points for rectification, I’ve no doubt you paid good money for them and the sales of goods act says they should be free from minor defect. It doesn’t look like they are. 

Best check everything else while you’re at it, I suspect you have already. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks, I will do if needed.  Unfortunately my relationship with the installer is somewhat strained owing to poor fit and sheer number of complaints.  

Just want to double check before going back to them again.  @craig Any advice on these 3 points please?  Do I need to raise these as problems or can I fix these myself?  Thanks

Edited by alexo

Mighty frustrating.

High spec windows fitted by low interest installers. We had numerous issues with our supplier/fitter. I’d throughly recommend the windows but never recommended the company that supplied and fitted. 

I suspect the issues you’ve highlighted are all DIY fixable. My main concern would be that what looks like transit packers left behind may mean that the window/s aren’t closing properly. I’ll have a look through my stuff when I get home if @craig doesn’t leap in first with some knowledgeable fixes. 

From recollection they’re transport packers. Can’t help with blind adjustment unfortunately, one if the reasons we stay clear and keep to accessible items.

I can’t see water issue clearly, need to get inside to see it but that ain’t happening for a few hours yet 😉

8 minutes ago, Russdl said:

Mighty frustrating.

High spec windows fitted by low interest installers. We had numerous issues with our supplier/fitter. I’d throughly recommend the windows but never recommended the company that supplied and fitted. 

I suspect the issues you’ve highlighted are all DIY fixable. My main concern would be that what looks like transit packers left behind may mean that the window/s aren’t closing properly. I’ll have a look through my stuff when I get home if @craig doesn’t leap in first with some knowledgeable fixes. 

Thanks, yeah it's a nightmare.  Same, windows and doors are amazing, but the fit is not the best.  Unfortunately it's not so bad that I can really do much about it either.  I totally regret not going with the platinum installer. Going with a firm who fit double glazing 95% of the time was definitely a rookie error 🫣

Thanks for checking.  They seem to be closing ok with the packers.  They are glued on quite strongly but I can peel off if needed.

I did ask the installers to adjust the blind before they left but they said they couldn't so just wanted to check if it can actually be done.

14 minutes ago, craig said:

From recollection they’re transport packers. Can’t help with blind adjustment unfortunately, one if the reasons we stay clear and keep to accessible items.

I can’t see water issue clearly, need to get inside to see it but that ain’t happening for a few hours yet 😉

Thanks, no worries, no rush

18 minutes ago, alexo said:

I totally regret not going with the platinum installer. Going with a firm who fit double glazing 95% of the time was definitely a rookie error 

Rest easy. I suspect the ‘platinum installers’ were cowboys with shinier hats. 

8 minutes ago, Russdl said:

Rest easy. I suspect the ‘platinum installers’ were cowboys with shinier hats. 

😂 Quite possibly.  However looking back at the quote they gave me, it was clear they were intending to do a near passive install.  They quoted for fitting with straps and Iso-Chemie Bloco One as standard for example.  Which is far better than the terribly thin Bloco 600 I ended up with!

• Sad 1

@alexo Regarding the blinds, can you open the outer leaf to access the blinds?

Ours are effectively 4G. A triple glazed unit with a separately hinged outer pane of glazing that protects the external blind. Are yours the same?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Russdl said:

@alexo Regarding the blinds, can you open the outer leaf to access the blinds?

Ours are effectively 4G. A triple glazed unit with a separately hinged outer pane of glazing that protects the external blind. Are yours the same?

Yes ours are the same. I can access the blind but don’t see how to adjust it.

@alexo Sorry, I can’t figure out how to adjust the blinds (without too much experimentation that might screw ours up!)

They do come out really easily though. If you want to take a closer look yourself. There are two black plastic catches that turn through 90 degrees to release the blind. 

IMG_3038.thumb.jpeg.4c9e466c16d20c2d7fe2a6db30803221.jpeg

Turn those towards the hinge side of the window and the blind plus motor/solar PV etc will drop out so be prepared to catch it!

Here’s pictures of the catches in the locked and unlocked position. 

IMG_3036.thumb.jpeg.8e7afd32a876e520ca20ce667f2e0541.jpeg

IMG_3035.thumb.jpeg.7eaba3cf725d765133b96eeda84c7ae8.jpeg

I can’t see where the adjustment would be, maybe someone will pipe up with a good idea. 

IMG_3039.thumb.jpeg.2af60c915f2b68f9068b122f594799d5.jpeg

IMG_3034.thumb.jpeg.d7018e2efa13a8a3be3f6257db003f1f.jpeg

Where exactly is that water you’re talking about? Is it between the hinged pane and the 3G unit?

IMG_3037.jpeg

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Russdl said:

@alexo Sorry, I can’t figure out how to adjust the blinds (without too much experimentation that might screw ours up!)

They do come out really easily though. If you want to take a closer look yourself. There are two black plastic catches that turn through 90 degrees to release the blind. 

IMG_3038.thumb.jpeg.4c9e466c16d20c2d7fe2a6db30803221.jpeg

Turn those towards the hinge side of the window and the blind plus motor/solar PV etc will drop out so be prepared to catch it!

Here’s pictures of the catches in the locked and unlocked position. 

IMG_3036.thumb.jpeg.8e7afd32a876e520ca20ce667f2e0541.jpeg

IMG_3035.thumb.jpeg.7eaba3cf725d765133b96eeda84c7ae8.jpeg

I can’t see where the adjustment would be, maybe someone will pipe up with a good idea. 

IMG_3039.thumb.jpeg.2af60c915f2b68f9068b122f594799d5.jpeg

IMG_3034.thumb.jpeg.d7018e2efa13a8a3be3f6257db003f1f.jpeg

Where exactly is that water you’re talking about? Is it between the hinged pane and the 3G unit?

IMG_3037.jpeg

Thanks that’s really helpful. I should’ve said my blinds are Duette, not sure if the mechanism differs to Venetian. I will have a look and see if I can detach them in the same way.

The water is on the standard tilt & turn KF410 not the ones with integrated blinds. 

It's a bit difficult to see exactly where that water is. If its inside the sealed glazing unit then that's a definite 'fail'. It looks more like its got behind the silicone that seals the glazing unit in the frame which to my mind is a definite 'fail' as well. That's what the silicone is there for, to stop water ingress.

12 hours ago, Russdl said:

@alexo I guess you’ve already paid up? Or have you something you can withhold until they fix everything and install correctly as per the quote?

No still haven’t settled remaining balance. The problem I’ve got is my installer didn’t detail any materials they were using for fit in the quote. I said I wanted them to fit with compriband and this was agreed and written into the survey.

I didn’t really know what I should ask for. I’d heard compriband was the best thing to use for insulation and assumed it would be fit throughout the frame. So they have used a compriband equivalent (Bloco 600), a sealing tape,  but just not the Bloco one thermal tape which is what I was expecting.  Bloco 600 provides about a quarter of the insulation of Bloco One as far as I understand.

I got a quote from a platinum partner, At-Eco, who quoted for Bloco One as standard and I regret not using them. Ruled out early in the process due to cost.

31 minutes ago, Russdl said:

It's a bit difficult to see exactly where that water is. If its inside the sealed glazing unit then that's a definite 'fail'. It looks more like its got behind the silicone that seals the glazing unit in the frame which to my mind is a definite 'fail' as well. That's what the silicone is there for, to stop water ingress.

This picture might be clearer.  The water doesn't appear to be within the glazing.  It's between the glazing and the outer rubber seal, where there is a drainage hole underneath if you open the window, pictured.

IMG_7777 (1).jpeg

17 minutes ago, alexo said:

No still haven’t settled remaining balance. The problem I’ve got is my installer didn’t detail any materials they were using for fit in the quote. I said I wanted them to fit with compriband and this was agreed and written into the survey.

I didn’t really know what I should ask for. I’d heard compriband was the best thing to use for insulation and assumed it would be fit throughout the frame. So they have used a compriband equivalent (Bloco 600), a sealing tape,  but just not the Bloco one thermal tape which is what I was expecting.  Bloco 600 provides about a quarter of the insulation of Bloco One as far as I understand.

I got a quote from a platinum partner, At-Eco, who quoted for Bloco One as standard and I regret not using them. Ruled out early in the process due to cost.

Also to be fair the sealing tape is the least of our problems. The windows were 2cm too short but that’s another matter and a different thread.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, alexo said:

This picture might be clearer.  The water doesn't appear to be within the glazing.  It's between the glazing and the outer rubber seal, where there is a drainage hole underneath if you open the window, pictured.

IMG_7777 (1).jpeg

I've got some water in my Internorm HF410 windows. It's not such big droplets as yours - more like a line of condensation between the outside glass and seal. It's only on 2 big fixed units, not the opening ones.

My builder says it doesn't sound normal so is contacting Internorm to see what they say.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 01/06/2024 at 22:20, Meabh said:

I've got some water in my Internorm HF410 windows. It's not such big droplets as yours - more like a line of condensation between the outside glass and seal. It's only on 2 big fixed units, not the opening ones.

My builder says it doesn't sound normal so is contacting Internorm to see what they say.

Update - Internorm said the water between the outside pane and the seal is normal....

• Thanks 1