A self-builder can never get a holiday can (s)he?

A few days off - to see the Tall Ships in Gloucester Dock - and fantasize that I could, in a hoolie and 50 years later,  still run up the ratlines and furl the down-wind half of a thrashing topgallant. 

Nope, the bloody gang plank was enough. Tempus fugit.

But oh was I cheered by the AirB+B. 

• Doors hung upside down
  • Who painted that ceiling- and with what - an old sack?
  • Staircase - Building Regs ppppffffffff.
  • That purlin - is it really just held in with just two bolts? 
  • Thats not a door threshold, its one of the jumps from Cheltenham Races
  • To open that door (sweetheart) you need to push the top of the door -in- and pull the handle -out- at the same time : look I'll show you
  • What wattage are those recessed LED lights? 100 ? And why 16 of them in a 4meter square kitchen?

It did me good to see  building ferkups more tightly packed together than my in my own Comedy of Build Errors. 

"You're here on holiday - stop mithering on about another  builder's , .... erm (unlady-like word) " says she.

You might be able to keep your own council about other peoples'  building errors  - but once a self-builder you cannot un-see them.

They hurt  

They rankle

They amuse

They provide light relief

For me, most of all, they reassure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We were away at the weekend in a log cabin. ASHP heating which was nice to see, and intermittent fans in the bathrooms - forgot how noisy the fans were.

ASHP seemed to run well, and nice quite, but the plumbing was so needlessly complex. The friends we stayed there with were looking everywhere to find the air outlet for the heated air - completely confused when I said the heated water just like a gas boiler and really didn't believe me.

• Like 1