Slate DPC removal and repointing.

Hi, I have lived in my current house for 10 years. An old Victorian semi detached. Going to try and keep this short! The side wall bricks at dpc level and below are very weathered and always wet. Some of the pointing had fell out, but I have had no damp issues in 10 years except at the front corner where the front render had cracked. (Sidewall is all London yellow brick). After much hand wringing I decided to try and get pointing/brick replacing done. The builder had 100s of good reviews etc etc. work done two days ago. Builder said to replace the slate dpc and repoint three levels. He used an angle grinder to get slate dpc out. The pointing is terrible, one of my bricks now has a hairline crack, but where he has inserted new plastic damp proof it has been left sticking out about an inch (this varies!) and has rendered the top of this to create a sort of drip bead that you have with rendered walls. Some of this has already fell off as of course the dpc is flexible. After a tense phone call he is coming back to redo the pointing and cut back the dpc. Just wanting some advice here, has anyone heard of this way of inserting dpc? Seems bizarre to me, surely it will all fall off eventually and I am left with an unsightly protruding dpc that’s actually collecting water?  (The dpc is almost ground level, there is a gulley of shingle next to the wall). Sorry no photos , having problems with my iPad. Any advice or opinion welcome please.

Great shame you never came on this forum earlier.  My advice would be DO NOT remove the slate DPC, it is about the best you can get.

We had similar issues in a previous 1930's house, there the issue was nothing to do with the DPC but failed rendering low down that was bridging the DPC.  Removing the lower render and re doing the bottom with it finishing just above the DPC cured all the problems.  The render should have a proper bell cast drip bead at the bottom which should be sturdy, it should not just be resting on plastic DPC.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your reply Prodave, I was very reluctant to remove the slate dpc, as I had no damp problems, I just wanted to get some repointing done, but the builder suggested I do it. Totally regret it now. The side wall has no rendering, just brick. He’s left the dpc sticking out and rendered the top of it, angled downwards, if that makes sense. It’s already falling off after two days.  He’s supposed to be coming back Tuesday to cut back the dpc to the brick and redo the pointing, but I have serious doubts this will happen. I only hope he did the plastic dpc correctly.