TRV leaking…

Posted (edited)

Hi,

one of my TRVs is leaking, only slightly but had to keep some kitchen roll around it to stop it going anywhere like the carpet.

water is coming out of the pin and there appears to be two nuts, one plastic and one brass.

would I be right assuming that if I remove either one of these pressurised water will escape?

is it likely a repair (I’m thinking it probably just needs some PTFE tape on it) would be effective or would it be easier just changing the valve entirely?

IMG_3325.thumb.jpeg.b50af18b42b7d5fe8c8c1b96ea889cb9.jpeg

cheers

Mike

Edited by MikeGrahamT21

Yes beware, if that pin comes out you will be covered in black water (ask me how I know🤣) not sure about the nuts but on some that pin will just pop out. Others may know about the nuts but logically the top one should tighten on the pin.

😂 yeah I’d rather not have my very own black water feature in the living room. I did start undoing the plastic one a couple of weeks back and nothing happened but I chickened out and did it back up again. What happened to you?

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

What happened to you?

I had a pin sieze (TRV not opening) so took the top off and wiggled the pin with pointed nose pliers (it had seized) but pulled it too far and black water spouted forth (with me desperately trying to re insert the pin) luckily no carpet and minimal re decoration needed. 😎

I would imagine the pin is in an “o” ring which maybe old if it’s leaking there. I don’t find TRV,s that expensive and might be worth replacing 🤷‍♂️it’s just a pain draining down etc.

Edited by joe90

19 hours ago, joe90 said:

I had a pin sieze (TRV not opening) so took the top off and wiggled the pin with pointed nose pliers (it had seized) but pulled it too far and black water spouted forth (with me desperately trying to re insert the pin) luckily no carpet and minimal re decoration needed. 😎

I would imagine the pin is in an “o” ring which maybe old if it’s leaking there. I don’t find TRV,s that expensive and might be worth replacing 🤷‍♂️it’s just a pain draining down etc.

yeah replacement is definitely on the cards, especially while the old bathroom floor is up. I replaced all of the TRVs when I redid the heating pipes and installed the manifold, which would have been maybe 2016? Not lasted very long, others all seem OK touch wood.

I’ll bet your accident wasn’t a laughing matter at the time but was afterwards, done similar things myself and had to chuckle later down the line

• Haha 1