Part R - Requirements are technologically neutral - Does Starlink tick the box?

Posted (edited)

Hello all,

2.18 As the requirements are technologically neutral, alternative technologies (such as fixed wireless or
satellite technologies) should be considered where performance requirements can be met, before
consideration is given to installing a slower form of connection.

My understanding is that if a BT FTTC connection (which is the only fixed connection available) is slower than Starlink then it would be acceptable to install Starlink instead. We also intend on running ducts and pull cords to BT's specifications anyway for eventual fibre rollout.

Does that seem correct or have I missed something major? I've forwarded this opinion to our Building Control team so I will update this.

Cheers

Edited by NailBiter

11 minutes ago, NailBiter said:

Hello all,

My understanding is that if a BT FTTC connection (which is the only fixed connection available) is slower than Starlink then it would be acceptable to install Starlink instead. We also intend on running ducts and pull cords to BT's specifications anyway for eventual fibre rollout.

Does that seem correct or have I missed something major? I've forwarded this opinion to our Building Control team so I will update this.

Cheers

Someone more knowledgeable will be along soon, but I believe it's based on a cost cap of £2,000 for fibre connection? So if it'll cost more than £2,000 to install, you can go for the next speed/connection down from that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks much appreciated. I guess my question is whether Starlink is considered the next speed down from fibre or whether copper FTTC would be.

Our downstream handback rate would be 40mbps on BT and would require 100 metres of trenching however Starlink is:

image.thumb.png.7d6539f4307eb9ed27254d426c0f828e.png

To be fair of course we will have to trench for fibre anyway so that's not really a cost unique to FTTC.

Edited by NailBiter

We get in excess 200Mbits download from Starlink. I’ve rarely seen it go below 150 and it’s been very reliable. We don’t have any fixed phone line to the house. I have a spare duct in case Openreach ever reach us but that’s unlikely. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

I have a spare duct in case Openreach ever reach us but that’s unlikely. 

We didn't even put the duct in...   and we're only a 100m from the end of the Virgin network and 50m from an BT pole.  Virgin have said they won't extend and I can't see Openreach getting fibre in any time soon. 

A 4G/5G SIM in a 4G router seems to be OK for us, I guess we could switch to Starlink if prices come down but it will probably be a 5G router first, when they come down in price.

Simon

• Like 1

The 4G is highly contended where we are although that’s improved over recent months I think because more folk are moving to Starlink. There’s talk of a 5G upgrade coming soon. 

Posted (edited)

Ok so I filled out the "Appendix B: Model form connectivity plan" from https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1119957/ADR1.pdf

On it we put:

1. Location of proposed ducts to carry future fibre and entry point into dwelling.

2. Likely location of street pot on property boundary for future fibre provider.

3. Evidence that BT do not currently supply FTTP.

4. Communication with two fibre providers that cover the area but not our property stating they can't serve us.

5. Screenshot from BT Wholesale checker showing our neighbours BT line and the downstream handback threshold being less than 40mbps.

6. Screenshot from Starlink stating capabilities of the system exceed capabilities of the BT FTTC offering.
7. Screenshot of the active Starlink account.

8. Screenshots from other major suppliers (Virgin Media, City Fibre) postcode checker pages.

9. Noted that the property is also served by 5G.

I think that covers everything off so will wait to see what they say.

Edited by NailBiter