Smart Meter but no 4G

Hi everyone 

we have hit a new obstacle in our solar project. We need a smart meter to take advantage of Octopus’s variable tariffs (and to export to the grid) but live in a village with a couple of bars of Vodafone 4G outside and none in the room where the meter is. Is there anything we can do about this apart from moving the meter (v expensive)?  

thanks so much

Sophie

This standalone network...

in central and southern regions, smart meter data is transmitted using cellular and wireless mesh technology provided by Virgin Media O2. In the northern regions, it’s transmitted over long-range radio provided by Arqiva.

Thanks. I guess it’s linked to 4G in the sense that they are transmitted by the same companies using the same infrastructure. So I guess no 4G signal probably also means no smart meter signal. 

I thought they used 2G and 3G, with 2G being phased out.

They also mesh together and then the meter's communication hub with the strongest cellular signal sends the data.

The data sent is very small, a few kilobytes a day. 

I may be wrong but for your export I think Octopus accept manual readings where smart meters won't connect. They're obliged to pay SEG rates so if a smart meter isn't sending data, manual readings is the only way they can meet that obligation.

Doesn't help with variable tariffs though!

2 minutes ago, Dillsue said:

I may be wrong but for your export I think Octopus accept manual readings where smart meters won't connect. They're obliged to pay SEG rates so if a smart meter isn't sending data, manual readings is the only way they can meet that obligation.

Doesn't help with variable tariffs though!

They will take manual reading but only pay about 4p per kWh. No smart tariffs.

Have you had it confirmed by your supplier that you can not get a smart meter. 
It does not require 4g it is data only and they can check the map for your area to find out the chances of getting one.  Your home will also effect it eg thick stone walls.  Can you switch off 4g on your phone and still get 1 bar of signal when standing by your existing meter.  
I have just got my smart meter, I’ve had problems because I’m 3 phase on economy 7 with the old teleswitch. I complained a lot and eventually they agreed to bring a new meter and fit it and see if it will stay smart. The engineer was great, he set some of it up outside where he had a good signal then continued the set up inside it’s been working 2 weeks so hopefully ok. 

I would certainly try one even if doesn’t stay smart at least you have tried. Be persistent with your complaints.