G98 help on self installation

Hi all.

I have been looking at sidestepping the use of a MCS registered installer for my PV panels, for 2 reasons; I'll save approx £800, which is very appealing and I can get it done more quickly by my electrician. 

Octopus now offer a program which doesn't require a MCS certificate. Acceptance isn't 100% garrenteed and it's £250 (£150 back it unsuccessful).

So this avenue is worth exploring, I think. 

The one problem is the G98 form !

Have any self installers tackled this form themselves and listed themselves or their sparky as the suitably qualified installer?  If so what did you put in the installer field?

Is it just the Inverter that I need to list as the generation device ? Both the panels and battery go via the same Inverter. 

Many thanks. 

Put your sparks details in the installer section and include the inverters reference off the ENA type approved database in the inverter section. Include a single line diagram of your house electrics with the G98 form. Job done

Do your sums for getting export payments from Octopus remembering that the 15p/unit isn't guaranteed.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mattg4321 said:

If your DNO is U.K. Power Networks then you/your electrician can apply with their smart connect portal. Very easy to do. 

Didn't know that, might have a play - I want to test the water for going over the 16A limit as I would rather not need to buy a limiting inverter or go for 3 phase, even though the pole with it on is in our land and right next to the meter cupboard, and our projected usage pattern will mean that we would be better off if we can export more. Reading around it looks like it is usually NO but can sometimes be YES. 

20 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Didn't know that, might have a play - I want to test the water for going over the 16A limit as I would rather not need to buy a limiting inverter or go for 3 phase, even though the pole with it on is in our land and right next to the meter cupboard, and our projected usage pattern will mean that we would be better off if we can export more. Reading around it looks like it is usually NO but can sometimes be YES. 

G99 applications are free with UKPN too. 

I’ve read that other DNO’s charge 

10 hours ago, Dillsue said:

Put your sparks details in the installer section and include the inverters reference off the ENA type approved database in the inverter section. Include a single line diagram of your house electrics with the G98 form. Job done

I put my name in the installer section and marked it self install  - we did have an elec cert that had solar PV on - don't think we'd have been OK without that. There was no charge with NG.  Make sure your inverter is G100 compliant - you can check this on the ENA database.  I seem to remember NG wanting this for any application.

10 hours ago, Dillsue said:

Do your sums for getting export payments from Octopus remembering that the 15p/unit isn't guaranteed.

I'm pretty sure the 15p export is only available on the Intelligent version of Octopus GO.  So standard Octopus Go is 7.5p cheap rate for 4 hours and I think 8p for export. If you move onto Octopus Go Intelligent, then you are on 7.5p cheap rate for 6 hours and 15p export.  As you say, there is a £250 admin charge for getting onto the 'intelligent' version of GO.  You also have to have a supported EV charge point installed and you have to connect an EV to do a test charge - the tariff is meant for EV owners. 

You can do this in stages with Octopus.  Once we'd done our G99 application with NG, we then switched to Go with Octopus and then later on switched to Intelligent Go.

The extra 2 hours on cheap rate and the 15p make a big difference.

Simon

12 hours ago, Bramco said:

I put my name in the installer section and marked it self install  - we did have an elec cert that had solar PV on - don't think we'd have been OK without that. 

I know of 2 people that put self installed and had it accepted without a part P sparks test cert- did you submit the electrical test cert to your DNO??

17 hours ago, Dillsue said:

I know of 2 people that put self installed and had it accepted without a part P sparks test cert- did you submit the electrical test cert to your DNO??

Apologies, I've just checked back and NG (our DNO) didn't ask for the electrical cert - but Octopus did!  Senility setting in......    Apologies again, I'll try to edit the original post.

Simon