Vat reclaim on conversion but building regs certificate states new build

We were granted planning permission for a conversion but the building regs officer decided part way through that we were to build it to new build standards. Building reg certificate states new build. Do I claim vat as conversion 5% as per the planning permission or as a new build zero rated?

See if you can get the planners to change their consent to new build because THEIR building regs have stated that’s what it is (then you can claim 20%) 👍

Ok thanks. So it’s what the planning permission states not what’s on the building reg certificate as to what rate you apply to reclaim? Just concerned that it may be rejected as the planning states conversion but building regs says new build 

3 minutes ago, Jess linington said:

Ok thanks. So it’s what the planning permission states not what’s on the building reg certificate as to what rate you apply to reclaim? Just concerned that it may be rejected as the planning states conversion but building regs says new build 

Just because you have to follow building regs for a new build - doesn't make it a new build. If your conversion process involves knocking the place down and starting from nothing, you are doing a new build. If you have a building you modify from one thing to another it's not a new build.

You will need to provide your planning permission and completion certificate to the vat people. If your planning permission is for a conversion you are doing a conversion.

• Like 1

On 21/04/2024 at 15:27, joe90 said:

See if you can get the planners to change their consent to new build because THEIR building regs have stated that’s what it is (then you can claim 20%) 👍

That might be risky. Its not uncommon for planners to grant permission for a conversion but refuse a knock down and rebuild. I know that's not what you have done but it can invite a closer inspection from the planners. 

4 hours ago, Jess linington said:

I would try asking the BCO for a letter confirming that "I have issued a certificate for a new build because you have carried out your conversion to new build standards". Something like that.

If he won't give you such a letter I would write a cover letter to the VAT man explaining that its definitely a conversion as per your planning permission despite what the Building Control Completion Certificate states. 

• 2 weeks later...