Exhaust fan air diverter

The location of my ASHP was a bit of a nightmare and places it could be put were very limited.  I live in a terraced house where the entirety of the rear at ground level is a sliding door and there was nowhere it could go on the front either.  As a result it ended up in the garden a few metres away from the house against the side wall with a flower bed all around it.  The idea being we would plant around it and hide it from view.  This looks like it will work quite well but some of the plants have been killed over winter by the artic breeze from the exhaust fan. 

Do we have any thoughts on fitting a deflector to the exhaust fan to direct the air away from the plants?  e.g. something like this:

aircon-louver_600x.png?v=1669685160

Ideally the air would be diverted up but given how cold it is compared to the outside air, it might just come straight back down again anyway?

The diverter may restrict the flow of air in some way due to the change of direction that damages the heat pump and cause a warranty issue?

46 minutes ago, BenY said:

Ideally the air would be diverted up but given how cold it is compared to the outside air, it might just come straight back down again anyway

I doubt that it would be a serious problem.

47 minutes ago, BenY said:

The diverter may restrict the flow of air in some way due to the change of direction that damages the heat pump and cause a warranty issue

Ask the manufacturer, they may well do a deflector.

You can work out the change in velocity by a vector diagram.

I don't think something like the pic would cause unacceptable back pressure or harm the HP. Once the exhaust air is a bit mixed with the surrounding air it will disperse pretty quickly. I take it the pic is an example from somewhere else entirely.

Personally I would deflect sideways or down in this situation, unless you know that the principal intake if from below in practice.  You don't want to risk exhaust air recirculating back into the intake and cold air inevitably falls. 

Having said that Heat Geek rans some experiments with recirculation (there is a youtube video somewhere).  The results were frankly amazing, basically they struggled to trigger any measurable degradation due to recirculation.  Eventually they pretty much boxed in a heat pump on all sides, and it still had only a small negative effect.

On 13/04/2024 at 20:28, sharpener said:

I don't think something like the pic would cause unacceptable back pressure or harm the HP. Once the exhaust air is a bit mixed with the surrounding air it will disperse pretty quickly

This is what i was most concerned about.

On 13/04/2024 at 22:55, sharpener said:

How about an industrial size louvred grille (like a Mapvent but bigger) or a slatted window shutter, or even a venetian blind as an experiment. Or make something out of treated wood.

Thanks I think that's a good idea, something made out of wood would certainly look better unless I can find something in matt black plastic to tie in with the heat pump design.  Hopefully eventually the plants will be bigger than the heat pump so It won't really matter.

On 14/04/2024 at 08:15, JamesPa said:

Personally I would deflect sideways or down in this situation, unless you know that the principal intake if from below in practice.  You don't want to risk exhaust air recirculating back into the intake and cold air inevitably falls. 

The exhaust and the intake are on opposite sides so I don't think that will be an issue.

On 14/04/2024 at 08:15, JamesPa said:

Having said that Heat Geek rans some experiments with recirculation (there is a youtube video somewhere).  The results were frankly amazing, basically they struggled to trigger any measurable degradation due to recirculation.  Eventually they pretty much boxed in a heat pump on all sides, and it still had only a small negative effect.

I watched the video, yes very strange result they got.  Here's the link in case anyone interested.  

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I will get on with finding something to fit or making something myself.