"Within two metres of any boundary that fronts a highway"

Can someone please explain exactly what this means to me? It's in relation to building a porch and one of the conditions for not requiring planning permission is:

"A porch can be constructed outside an external door of a house providing that no part of the porch is within two metres of any boundary that fronts a highway." Written in other places as:

"No part of the porch is within two metres of any boundary of your home and the main road."

"or is located within 2m of the property boundary and highway."

Can someone translate this for me please? Does it mean that it can't be within 2 metres of the boundary with a road? Or within 2 metres of any boundary with other houses? I'm confused.

Edited by Ryan Turner

boundary of your property according to historical records basically. Saying that, i put plans in that meant i was about 1m from the boundary and they got approved but i was worried at the time it would get knocked back but they didnt even mention it.

It relates to the principal elevation - generally the front of the building that gets the postcode and therefore has a road running parallel (ish)

The exact wording is: (development is NOT permitted if...)

(d)any part of the structure would be within 2 metres of any boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse with a highway

So, any part of the porch has to be at least 2 metres from any of your boundaries which abut any highway. So, a mid-terrace house would have one of those scenarios, a house on a corner may have two such boundaries to consider. It is only boundaries with a highway not neighbours.

It also cannot be more than 3m high nor more than 3m3 in ground area (measured externally)