Outbuilding Wall Dilemma

Marko

So I'm in the planning stages. My intentions were to pour a slab and timber frame the walls. I'm especially limited in terms of width so not much wiggle room. The garden is on two levels and there will be steps leading up to the house. These will go right alongside the outbuilding wall with a gap between where I'll be putting in some Aco drains. As you can see, I've run into a design issue. Once the steps go in, there be no access to the side of the building for maintenance on the cladding etc. Does anyone have any suggestions to get around this? I was thinking of a type of brick plinth around the timber frame, up to the height of the top paving slab, but not sure.

image.thumb.png.34665ba32ed7ab6ff2b567809449ceaf.png

41 minutes ago, joe90 said:

How about paving slab on edge 150mm above step height to cover rain bounce and no maintenance, cladding above this.

🤷‍♂️

Can you elaborate, I'm slow today. What do you mean, cut some extra slabs 150 mm and turn them on their edge?

Before you timber clad, vertical slabs against the frame (with DPC behind) to follow the steps but an extra 150mm higher (like a DPC in a brick wall is 150mm above ground level) then timber clad down to this. You could do this behind the building as well to save timber cladding being below ground level.

19 hours ago, joe90 said:

Before you timber clad, vertical slabs against the frame (with DPC behind) to follow the steps but an extra 150mm higher (like a DPC in a brick wall is 150mm above ground level) then timber clad down to this. You could do this behind the building as well to save timber cladding being below ground level.

I like the idea! So something like the below. Slabs against the OSB with DPC in between. Do you think the slabs would need fixing with some type of adhesive on the sheathing?

image.thumb.png.5e9f11cdf690bb3d9c0cdbe5f5107ca2.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marko said:

Do you think the slabs would need fixing with some type of adhesive on the sheathing?

You could but they will go to ground level and be held against the OSB by the steps, the DPC might stop you “glueing”  the slabs, temporary screw and batten at the top before cladding, fit the steps tight to the slabs, remove temp screws then clad 👍

Have you considered using cement board cladding instead of wood e.g Hardie VL? If installed correctly it won't need any maintenance for a very very long time and would probably be fine behind the steps.