Pi and a 4g sim card as a site security camera setup

I bought a trail camera recently with a cellular capability. Partly as a security camera but initially just curious to know what wildlife is using our plot at night.

But i wonder if i could utilise a standard 4g Sim to give me remote capability via a Pi.

I am not Pi literate, the last thing i played with was Arduino a couple of years ago. I was trying to build a side real star tracker mount.

Now my curiosity is awakened again.

I looked at something similar to use a camera I already had but I just needed something that worked with remote access, powered by solar, had alerts/notifications. After all it’s a site security camera so needs to work. I just installed the Reolink 4G camera which came as a pack with a solar panel.  Has worked perfectly. 

Posted (edited)

I have just had a look at the Reolink site. That looks pretty good. How has the thing stood up to the weather ?

Just seen more information: I notice that some models have a better IP weather rating than others.

Edited by Post and beam

I have a eufy, outdoor 4g site camera with solar panel. Battery life only 4 days when motion detect on. No timelapse. Would try reolink next time as some do timelapse. Had to craft a hood to stop droplets blocking lense. Charging very difficult onsite when freezing. Works grand otherwise!

The Reolink works perfectly from the wee solar panel. You need to charge it up to 100% first then after that it’s fit and forget. In fact I’ve been surprised at how fit and forget it’s been. 

The one I bought is white but it came with a camo cover. Reolink do refurbs as do Amazon for good discounts which is where I got mine. 

Edited by Kelvin

13 hours ago, Post and beam said:

I have just had a look at the Reolink site. That looks pretty good. How has the thing stood up to the weather ?

Just seen more information: I notice that some models have a better IP weather rating than others.

Been fine so far. It’s in an exposed area so gets battered by the wind and rain. Picture quality is pretty good. I was a bit concerned that connecting to it remotely would be a bit hit or miss as the 4G signal is a bit variable. However it’s never been an issue. 

IMG_1607.thumb.jpeg.29b2a53a8d1e1dcdd99b9c5ea85bb8ed.jpeg

IMG_1608.thumb.jpeg.7e363294759edd6f467933052de6393b.jpeg

Edited by Kelvin