Prior Notification for Single Storey

Question for a Prior Notification for Single Storey side extension to go up to 8metres, is it still the case you can't go above the original eaves height with a flat roof?

2 hours ago, vik2001 said:

Question for a Prior Notification for Single Storey side extension to go up to 8metres, is it still the case you can't go above the original eaves height with a flat roof?

And is the prior notification extensions only for rear extensions and not side extensions?

The eaves of the extension (any roof type) cannot go higher than the eaves of the original house. Prior approval is for rear extensions, but note that the 8m you quote is for detached houses only. If you need more info, I have done a whole series of Permitted Development videos that some Buildhub members have found useful (youtube/efkor)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, efkor said:

The eaves of the extension (any roof type) cannot go higher than the eaves of the original house. Prior approval is for rear extensions, but note that the 8m you quote is for detached houses only. If you need more info, I have done a whole series of Permitted Development videos that some Buildhub members have found useful (youtube/efkor)

Watched a couple the other day, they are really informative and clear. I will be picking your brains in the near future as I’m just in the process of buying another place.

Posted (edited)

OK thanks.  I'm.exploring options and to gain general knowledge. I'm within 2m of a boundary if the flat roof was designed like below would I be within PD for the height, any workarounds

Screenshot_20240312_163333_Samsung Notes.jpg

Edited by vik2001

That is a common detail/build-up for a warm flat roof. It would meet the max. 3m PD eaves height. Just as a side note and on that particular example, it looks to be a flat roof extension on a bungalow which are more difficult to get through PD. A different story when attaching to a two storey house.

Lower the flat roof or introduce a pitched roof. Your Architect should be able to advise how to comply with PD. But going from your other post, the overall depth would fail to meet the PD requirements. Unless this is a different extension?

4 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

Lower the flat roof or introduce a pitched roof. Your Architect should be able to advise how to comply with PD. But going from your other post, the overall depth would fail to meet the PD requirements. Unless this is a different extension?

No it's the same extension, I will ask architect if a pitched roof will solve the issue 

• 3 weeks later...

I will get my decision in 4 weeks time. If it doesn't go through I'm planning just to limit the extension down to 3m or 6m and introduce a pitched roof to get it through PD.

Will doing a proper pitched roof rather than a flat roof pass PD and get me the ceiling height?

The ceiling height is irrelevant. The height of the eaves should not exceed existing. So if you comply with that, then that’s one requirement met.

An extension with a depth more than 4m requires Prior Approval. An extension with a max. depth of 4m is usually PD.

Thanks dd. One last bit of advice if I didn't get planning and tried to do a 3m extension under PD, can the height of new eaves exceed existing if using a pitched roof? I understand this isn't the case with a flat roof.