Outside tap

Still on with making penetrations through my brickwork and have come to sorting the outside taps.

Using something like this Made4Trade Wall Plate & Tube 15mm x 350mm | Toolstation

Had it in my mind to drill hole, and sleeve with 22mm overflow pipe.  Should I be insulating the pipe through the brickwork?  My worry is, if I drill too big a hole to accommodate pipe insulation then there wont be sufficient brick left to screw the backplate too.

Will be fitting an isolator internally, so can turn off supply and open tap up in extreme cold should I need to.

Not sure if this an option open to you, but our cold water feed came into the house in a 100mm duct, up through the foundation. I used the same duct to take the outside tap pipe through, the sealed it off.

22 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

Still on with making penetrations through my brickwork and have come to sorting the outside taps.

Using something like this Made4Trade Wall Plate & Tube 15mm x 350mm | Toolstation

Had it in my mind to drill hole, and sleeve with 22mm overflow pipe.  Should I be insulating the pipe through the brickwork?  My worry is, if I drill too big a hole to accommodate pipe insulation then there wont be sufficient brick left to screw the backplate too.

Will be fitting an isolator internally, so can turn off supply and open tap up in extreme cold should I need to.

I used them, or the screwfix equivalent i forget. Did what you suggested, 22mm (or 25mm, i forget) hole with the SDS, hammer in some plastic pipe for sleeving and then insert. The mounting screws are close to the "hole" but it worked just fine

I chased the inside, so as soon as it comes into the house i soldered a 90degree and straight down the chase to under the floor where i convert to plastic and take it back to the manifold for isolation. Bit tricky to solder in the chase without melting the sleeve but it worked just fine. No insulation inside the wall, seemed pointless really, i just siliconed outside and foamed the inside.

Edited by Super_Paulie
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, crispy_wafer said:

In a word yes to all you propose. I used what appears to be an identical fitting from Screwfix, works fine. To avoid cracking the bricks I put the hole through a T-joint in the mortar and got 3 good fixings in the 3 (almost undamaged) bricks.

Most worrying step was cutting to length and fitting the elbow on the inside, bc to get the pipe to run close to the wall I used a Tectite fitting partly buried in the plaster and they are not re-usable.

I see no point in insulation through the brickwork, will serve little purpose, in coldest weather you will have it drained down anyway.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

Perfect thanks, @sharpener @Super_Paulie

I'll be drilling from outside in, so I'll definitely take that tip on board.

i always try to do the same for my outside water and sockets. My thinking is that if in the future i need to move it or whatever then i just have a bit of mortar and a few small holes to repair rather than a 25mm hole in a brick. 

54 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

I'll be drilling from outside in, so I'll definitely take that tip on board.

Ideally run a 10mm pilot drill through from the outside, then finish from both ends with the 22mm, avoids bursting the corners off the bricks and so causes less damage on the inside.

Edited by sharpener