Waterproofing exterior wall below ground

Bosi

Hi. I wonder what would be best to use to waterproof the exterior wall below ground level.

I have to dig up around almost all of the house for a cable and as we have permanently a problem with rising damp I thought it would be a good time to put a french drain pipe in and possibly tank the exterior wall as well. But I can not see which product would be best to use external and below ground.

A lot of videos I found show a product like Everbuild Black Jack Damp Proof Membrane , whilst it says on the product description just above ground. And then is the Everbuild Febtank Super Tanking Slurry for example?

What material would you use to waterproof the external wall please, costing not the world? And breathable I guess.

Thank you for your help and ideas.
Manfred

Thank you very much, I will look into this. I took as well some pictures today and noticed that old pebbledash rendering is still on, below the ground soil level. So I guess this needs taking off too to reduce bridging, or?

IMG_20240228_101735.jpg

On 27/02/2024 at 14:26, Bosi said:

What material would you use to waterproof the external wall please, costing not the world? And breathable I guess.

I wouldn't.

If you have rising damp, then applying a waterproofing material may make it worse, rather than better. That is, the moisture will likely be trapped by the waterproofing and escape higher up. What's needed is for the moisture to escape lower down. I'd therefore be looking to remove the old rendering and lowering the ground level, to expose at least 2 of 3 courses of brickwork from which the moisture can evaporate before it causes a problem.