detached garage - roof choice driving me crazy, bit of help?

Hi all.

we're ready to break ground on our new detached garage. It's a whopper: 11.7m x 8.2m.

Steep learning curve - but the raft, the cavity walls and roof truss structure (19.88-degrees with a vaulted area for a car lift) have all been designed and quoted.

But I'm completely stuck on the roof covering. it's over 100m2 so cost is a major problem and is keeping me up at night.

I've considered natural slate to match the house, Brimet Liteslate (plastic slate effect tiles), Marley Edgemere Riven (concrete slate effect tiles) and lately old school roofing sheets.

A second problem is finding a roofer - it's a struggle finding one with availability, let alone one with transparent pricing. Ideally I want a quote for all four roofing systems with material costs shown so I can make a decision, but it's not reasonable to ask a tradesperson to produce four quotes.

I'll be using the garage as a workshop, with some high-end machine tools so condensation and noise escape is a big worry. Does anyone have any suggestions for a sensible roof choice? Rules of thumb on price comparison would be very welcome too.

If its not insulted then I'd like the ability to add simple insulation (Rockwool or Kingspan)  later - without spending a king's ransom on plywood sheets to support the insulation.

Really welcome any pointers that could get me back towards budget.

Image from design attached with visible trusses.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 01.04.04.png

Edited by Pabbles

9 hours ago, Pabbles said:

Hi all.

we're ready to break ground on our new detached garage. It's a whopper: 11.7m x 8.2m.

Steep learning curve - but the raft, the cavity walls and roof truss structure (19.88-degrees with a vaulted area for a car lift) have all been designed and quoted.

But I'm completely stuck on the roof covering. it's over 100m2 so cost is a major problem and is keeping me up at night.

I've considered natural slate to match the house, Brimet Liteslate (plastic slate effect tiles), Marley Edgemere Riven (concrete slate effect tiles) and lately old school roofing sheets.

A second problem is finding a roofer - it's a struggle finding one with availability, let alone one with transparent pricing. Ideally I want a quote for all four roofing systems with material costs shown so I can make a decision, but it's not reasonable to ask a tradesperson to produce four quotes.

I'll be using the garage as a workshop, with some high-end machine tools so condensation and noise escape is a big worry. Does anyone have any suggestions for a sensible roof choice? Rules of thumb on price comparison would be very welcome too.

If its not insulted then I'd like the ability to add simple insulation (Rockwool or Kingspan)  later - without spending a king's ransom on plywood sheets to support the insulation.

Really welcome any pointers that could get me back towards budget.

Image from design attached with visible trusses.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 01.04.04.png

559AF4A6-36BC-456B-B634-B78A09765138.thumb.jpeg.076c399c2009fbf0310ea7551002b4ec.jpeg559AF4A6-36BC-456B-B634-B78A09765138.thumb.jpeg.076c399c2009fbf0310ea7551002b4ec.jpegours is 10x8 and we simply slated it nothing fancy But looks ok 

3 hours ago, oliwoodings said:

Have you considered insulated roof panels e.g the ones by kingspan?

could be a possibility, depends of there are any planning restrictions. and does look a bit workshop / commercial building like.

Noise reduction of these isn't too bad at Rw ~24 dB, and you can get better performance if you add some more fluffy stuff and board internally.

Also you could source these second hand?

4 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

sloppy rendering, i would get rid of those cowboys 🤣

The best of it is I’ve several machines for spraying Wet dash But my wife wanted it hurled like we used to do 30 years back 

B7963BB1-9A20-4790-891A-DCD25E2609E8.jpeg

I think you can reasonably work out the amount of tiles etc taking into account you will need a big headlap with such a shallow pitch. Once you have an idea of costs of materials you can decide which finish you prefer.

I think you can guess that the labour of slating a roof is a lot more than say corrugated cement sheets, but would you really like to look out of the window and see them every day?