Confused by what intumescent strip i need

Thorfun

i have 2 doors from the garage leading to the house which are FD30 rated and have external door frames. i need to buy some intumescent strips for the chippie to router in. looking at Screwfix i see different options. Fire or fire and smoke. 10mm or 15mm. white or brown.

how do i know what i need? obviously white or brown is personal preference but how do i know if i need 10mm or 15mm? and what do i need for BR compliance with regards to fire only or fire and smoke?

i would confirm with BC what they want as it may be they want a FD30s (i would double checked). Have the door linings gone in?

I got specific fire rated door linings (which are thicker) and have a groove rebated out for the intumescent strip which was about 15mm.

43 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

i would confirm with BC what they want as it may be they want a FD30s (i would double checked). Have the door linings gone in?

I got specific fire rated door linings (which are thicker) and have a groove rebated out for the intumescent strip which was about 15mm.

BC wants FD30 doors, intumescent strips and door closers. i have external door frames and they have a groove but that's for the weather strip as far as i know.

57 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

BC wants FD30 doors, intumescent strips and door closers. i have external door frames and they have a groove

Note that the Build Regulations require 'fire doorsets', not just fire doors, tested (as a set) to BS EN 13501-2. You can't just fit a fire door to a standard external frame (at least, not without paying to get it tested to the standard).

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

Note that the Build Regulations require 'fire doorsets', not just fire doors, tested (as a set) to BS EN 13501-2. You can't just fit a fire door to a standard external frame (at least, not without paying to get it tested to the standard).

oh f**k. 😭

Edited by Thorfun
forgot the emoji. i think this deserved an emoji
  • Sad 1