Microcontroller demoboard with wired Ethernet, a few GPIO and a Javascript option

dnb

So I don't further derail this thread I'll ask a new but related question.

I'm looking for an alternative to the Pi Pico combined with a W5100S chip mainly because I don't like Python and the rest of my home automation project is coded in Javascript.

The hardware on the Pico and W5100 is absolutely fine so if there's an option of a Javascript environment for it that has a bit of support then all is good. Kaluma looks like it will be pretty good if it gets further, but it's not got support for everything I want yet - I don't want to engage in low level development work because there are too many other things I need to do.

I am led to believe something ESP32 based (like the Shelly devices) might have both the JS option and a wired Ethernet option. I'm hoping someone can point me at a demoboard much like the W5100S-EVP-Pico, but for the competition, and where I might find some details about what the version(s) of JS for it can be persuaded to do.

I can't drop wired ethernet from my list of requirements - the project is not suited to WiFi.  Native POE would be a significant advantage although strictly I can manage without.

Thanks for any insight. I'm a bit out of the loop on current microcontrollers - I stopped playing with them seriously when the AVR Mega16 was all the rage!

• 4 weeks later...

@dnb,  Sorry I missed this.  NodeMCU Lua runs on both the ESP32 and the older single CPU ESP8266.  The JS equivalent Espruino environment only runs on the ESP32 variant -- preferably the later versions that have PSRAM as well as Flash.  The ESP32 Tasmota builds also include a comparable Berry scripting environment.  The Expressif RTOS include wired Enet support and some boards include a wired header

Edited by TerryE

• 2 weeks later...

@TerryE Sorry I missed seeing that you had replied for a few days! Thank you for replying. Once I have a couple of car, old house and groundwork issues off my list I will be back looking at the control aspects of the house.