Is it possible to retain old foundation?

Watts

Hi all,

I am planning to knock down an ugly pre-cast concrete bungalow in a conservation area and build a part 1-storey part 2-storey house.

The planning officer emailed me with the good news that my latest revision satisfied both him and the conservation officer and the application will be recommended for approval. The expected decision date is 09/02/2024.

The footprint will largely stay the same with some extension to the rear. Is it common to retain the old foundation or does it have to be demolished as well? 

Do you know how strict was the building control back in 1970th when the current bungalow was constructed? Did they get away with light foundations those days or did building control require a proper foundation even for precast concrete bungalows as they are considered to be lightweight?

Many thanks!

It's not impossible but odds are they're a bit shoddy, or not quite in the right place or width or whatever else... so price for new. 

Beware that demo contractors won't usually price for ripping out foundations, so the groundworkers may end up doing it. 

17 minutes ago, George said:

It's not impossible but odds are they're a bit shoddy, or not quite in the right place or width or whatever else... so price for new. 

Beware that demo contractors won't usually price for ripping out foundations, so the groundworkers may end up doing it. 

They all did on mine. It’s a no brainier really while they have the machines there. It takes no time at all with most old foundations. 

21 hours ago, George said:

Understood, will budget for the new foundation. Thanks!

Pre-cast houses put up in the fifties were done on a budget and at speed and not really designed with longevity in mind.  I have a plot that had a pre-fab bungalow and the condition of the foundations are not in the best of shape and it was always the intention to get them removed when I commence the groundworks.

Personally, I would not take any chances and best to budget for it’s removal and start from a correctly specified base.

• Like 1