Does it matter if I put in a commencement date a few months earlier than I am likely to start ? Are there any time scales etc 

reason for asking is I might get a bit of site clearance done at short notice but equally it might not start for a few months ?? 

i don't think that there is any issue in that, the key thing is get the CIL exception form in and confirmed by the council prior to starting work on site.

I wouldn't want to take the risk of site clearance being deemed starting work without the CIL exception in place

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

You should be able to ask your LPA CIL people to verify that site clearance won't cause you any CIL problems.

*Ensure you have your plans exactly as you want them* - you might find it difficult or impossible to change them in future without jeopardising your self-build CIL exemption. 

• Thanks 1

So this is the reply I had from the CIL office which is great as I had not given a commencement date yet 

Thank you for your email below –
The CIL charging is only triggered by the commencement on site of the above planning application for which, as the owner of the site, you would have full control over its development.
This means there is no “penalty” for registering your assumption of liability and self build exemption details on the CIL file, for this planning permission, (it is just sitting there until, or if, you commence this permission on site) .

You can withdraw you CIL assumption of liability at any time, but this will also automatically cancel your self build exemption, and all these forms would need to be submitted again should you wish to commence building out this development before the permission expires.

If you were however, to sell this site then the Council highly recommend that it is better for both parties, within the legal process, to complete and submit a joint CIL form 4 – Transfer of Assumed Liability.   Should you need any further information on this please visit the governments gov.uk website on Community Infrastructure Levy - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)