SolarEdge and modbus

Pocster

• 2 months later...
On 25/01/2024 at 13:02, Pocster said:

Anyone with this ?

Can I install the modbus myself ?

Looking to completely control battery schedule remotely via home assistant- so effectively no cloud access .

Yeah it's a few bolts to get the cover off and then the two RS485 interfaces are in the centre towards the bottom. Nothing the majority of people can't handle.

That said you might not need to as SolarEdge now present their Modbus interface on the LAN too so you can just connect via TCP. 

Hit me up if you get stuck / have any specific questions. 

56 minutes ago, NailBiter said:

Yeah it's a few bolts to get the cover off and then the two RS485 interfaces are in the centre towards the bottom. Nothing the majority of people can't handle.

That said you might not need to as SolarEdge now present their Modbus interface on the LAN too so you can just connect via TCP. 

Hit me up if you get stuck / have any specific questions. 

This is what confused me . I see “ modbus” I.e additional hardware . Then I also see it on tcp . My SE inverter connection is across their zigbee though - can I still get modbus access ??

41 minutes ago, Pocster said:

This is what confused me . I see “ modbus” I.e additional hardware . Then I also see it on tcp . My SE inverter connection is across their zigbee though - can I still get modbus access ??

No additional hardware required if you have SetApp access (or can convince your installer to change a setting). You can follow the instructions here:

https://github.com/WillCodeForCats/solaredge-modbus-multi/wiki/Configuration#enabling-modbustcp

If for any reason you can't convince your installer to change that setting you can pop the cover off (make sure to properly de-energise your system first!)

There will be two RS485 ports in front of you. One or other might be in use but they probably aren't if you are using their Zigbee system. Use one that is free and plug it into a Raspberry Pi Zero with a USB RS485 adapter (few quid on Amazon) it is only a pair of wires (A and B) and a ground. You can use a Modbus TCP Gateway if you prefer.

The end goal is to get a TCP Modbus Connection that the above Project can access, doesn't really matter which way you go about it.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NailBiter said:

No additional hardware required if you have SetApp access (or can convince your installer to change a setting). You can follow the instructions here:

https://github.com/WillCodeForCats/solaredge-modbus-multi/wiki/Configuration#enabling-modbustcp

If for any reason you can't convince your installer to change that setting you can pop the cover off (make sure to properly de-energise your system first!)

There will be two RS485 ports in front of you. One or other might be in use but they probably aren't if you are using their Zigbee system. Use one that is free and plug it into a Raspberry Pi Zero with a USB RS485 adapter (few quid on Amazon) it is only a pair of wires (A and B) and a ground. You can use a Modbus TCP Gateway if you prefer.

The end goal is to get a TCP Modbus Connection that the above Project can access, doesn't really matter which way you go about it.

Ooooooo.

I do have SetApp but don't know login credentials ( asked my installer for them ). I do have full access via the web portal though....

Once I go down this route I do want a way back ( i.e. incase I (expletive deleted) up ) so that the web portal ToU settings still work... that possible?

Cheers! - new thing to play with and break!

3 minutes ago, Pocster said:

Ooooooo.

I do have SetApp but don't know login credentials ( asked my installer for them ). I do have full access via the web portal though....

Once I go down this route I do want a way back ( i.e. incase I (expletive deleted) up ) so that the web portal ToU settings still work... that possible?

Cheers! - new thing to play with and break!

You might be lucky and have the setting already enabled (try connecting to it) but if it isn't you are going to need to pop the cover off and plug in an RS485. That will also give you access to some things that aren't possible via the Modbus TCP connection like writing meter data (even more stuff to break!)

SolarEdge added some of their StorEdge controls to their client facing web interface but I've not used it. It would be worth checking around on Github to see if anyone has wrapped these for Home Assistant. It wouldn't give you the local only control you require but it might be harder to break things.

You can either use the Modbus integration in read only mode (safest) or to control your battery (far more experimental) by turning on the power registers:

https://github.com/WillCodeForCats/solaredge-modbus-multi/wiki/Power-Control-Options-‐-Configuration

The only way I know if to backup your settings would be to screenshot all of the settings from the Home Assistant SolarEdge Modbus Integration page and to manually set them back if you have a problem. Might be worth screenshotting everything on the client facing web UI page too. 

I believe the client facing web UI would override the setting changes you make to the inverter but I'm not sure on that.

Be very very careful, you can cause big issues and get yourself in a lot of trouble. You can also do cool things and have a lot of fun. Check twice, click once!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NailBiter said:

You might be lucky and have the setting already enabled (try connecting to it) but if it isn't you are going to need to pop the cover off and plug in an RS485. That will also give you access to some things that aren't possible via the Modbus TCP connection like writing meter data (even more stuff to break!)

SolarEdge added some of their StorEdge controls to their client facing web interface but I've not used it. It would be worth checking around on Github to see if anyone has wrapped these for Home Assistant. It wouldn't give you the local only control you require but it might be harder to break things.

You can either use the Modbus integration in read only mode (safest) or to control your battery (far more experimental) by turning on the power registers:

https://github.com/WillCodeForCats/solaredge-modbus-multi/wiki/Power-Control-Options-‐-Configuration

The only way I know if to backup your settings would be to screenshot all of the settings from the Home Assistant SolarEdge Modbus Integration page and to manually set them back if you have a problem. Might be worth screenshotting everything on the client facing web UI page too. 

I believe the client facing web UI would override the setting changes you make to the inverter but I'm not sure on that.

Be very very careful, you can cause big issues and get yourself in a lot of trouble. You can also do cool things and have a lot of fun. Check twice, click once!

I have a habit ( natural ability ) to (expletive deleted) things up. So I will go down this route but VERY carefully ..... 😎

• Haha 1