How fragile are tiles on tile backer board?

Tony K

Afternoon

I am just about to box in my bathroom. The room is built from metal stud which I will cover with tile backer board, before tiling in the usual fashion.

The bathroom has a sliding pocket door. The door goes into a lightweight Eclisse kit designed for the job.

When I close the door I notice a slight wobble in the Eclisse housing. Nothing to worry about within itself, but I do wonder if it is wise to fix tile backer boards and tiles to a frame that has this bit of movement. The door will be opened and closed thousands of times over the course of its life, and I wonder if that will push the tiles apart.

I have had contrasting advice to (firstly) use large sheet shower panels in that location instead. or (secondly, and conversely) that tile adhesive has enough flex to withstand the slight movement.

Any experience of this?

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I'd say that the tiling itself probably adds enough stiffness to stop deflection.

But, is it worth the risk? Better to use a thicker backing board. Perhaps noggins to stiffen it. And add soft buffers to the door.

Thanks.

The bathroom is very small, so the bath is tucked in tight to the pocket door frame. That prevents noggins, and probably prevents the use of a thicker board!

As long as the adhesive is flexible and has a good hold they will behave as a composite panel and you will be surprised how stiff it becomes. Once did a temporary floor and put thin tiles on 6mm ply so it would peel back up easily … oh god no! It might as well have been 18mm ply.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tony K said:

is built from metal stud which I will cover with tile backer board, before tiling

Why can't you get some noggins between these studs? Just bits of 2 x 2 timber jammed in?

@markc is right. I just thought you might as well. Can you fit soft buffers?

Edited by saveasteading

4 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Why can't you get some noggins between these studs? Just bits of 2 x 2 timber jammed in?

@markc is right. I just thought you might as well. Can you fit soft buffers?

The void where I might fit noggins is the void into which the door slides. 

I do have a soft-close mechanism fitted, but there is still a tiny bit of wobble as the door hits either end of the track.