Multi room Alexa audio

I’ve been more than happy streaming my music collection from my nas to raspberry pis with amp hats to ceiling speakers . All controlled via iPeng .

swmbo ( ffs ) likes Alexa ( guess she can talk to it other than me ) . A right pita to get Alexa to communicate with squeezebox Lms server - but got it working and a pain to maintain .

Transferring away from my current HA and going to home assistant I can’t see any sensible way to implement Alexa voice commands with Lms .

Currently “ Alexa , play album xxx “ works . Output is of course not via Alexa but by relevant pi .

I’ve googled but can’t seem to find an Alexa controlled streamer with multiple outputs ( say 5 sets of stereo ) , or a hub that controls multiple amps . Where source can be changed through speech ( nas , internet radio ). 
Anything I do find I can’t be certain will do what I want and costs £££.

What d’ya reckon ?

Have you looked at Wiim?

https://www.wiimhome.com/wiimmini/overview

I don't know Alexa streaming and Alexa Cast, but thought it was similar functionality to Chromecast, which I am familiar with.

With a Wiim Mini or Wiim Pro you can turn an "old" amp and speakers into a connected amp and speakers, group them with other similarly connected devices etc.

You'd need one Mini or Pro for each amp.

Not sure about Alexa Cast, but Chromecast will handle Streaming Service, Internet Radio, Podcasts etc. I think you'd need a separate App to play off your NAS. I use Plex and its integral Chromecast for that, but without Voice Control for Plex.

Edited by IanR
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, IanR said:

Have you looked at Wiim?

https://www.wiimhome.com/wiimmini/overview

I don't know Alexa streaming and Alexa Cast, but thought it was similar functionality to Chromecast, which I am familiar with.

With a Wiim Mini or Wiim Pro you can turn an "old" amp and speakers into a connected amp and speakers, group them with other similarly connected devices etc.

You'd need one Mini or Pro for each amp.

Not sure about Alexa Cast, but Chromecast will handle Streaming Service, Internet Radio, Podcasts etc. I think you'd need a separate App to play off your NAS. I use Plex and its integral Chromecast for that, but not without Voice Control for Plex.

Yeah I did see that . Couldn’t work out if that will do what I want tbh ….

So I’d still need an amp per zone ?

Them a wiim per amp ??

Edited by Pocster

1 hour ago, Pocster said:

So I’d still need an amp per zone ?

Them a wiim per amp ??

Yes, a Mini or Pro per amp

23 minutes ago, Pocster said:

Still unclear if you can control a local audio library via Alexa for it ….

That's down to Alexa rather than the Wiim device. The Wiim device is just catching the Alexa Cast audio stream. 

3 hours ago, Pocster said:

Currently “ Alexa , play “ works . Output is of course not via Alexa but by relevant pi .

Are you saying that Alexa will play an album off your LMS via voice command (or do you mean from a connected Streaming Service)

If that works from your LMS local audio Library then I'd have thought "Cast album xxx to $Wiim_Device_name" would work.

1 minute ago, IanR said:

Are you saying that Alexa will play an album off your LMS via voice command (or do you mean from a connected Streaming Service)

Yep ( with tunnels and skills I.e pita )

But that’s on the existing HA system .

1 minute ago, Pocster said:

Yep ( with tunnels and skills I.e pita )

But that’s on the existing HA system .

So should be available to Cast to another Alexa device (the Wiim Mini or Pro) on the Network.

The Workaround for Google is to Upload your personal Library to YouTube Music (up to 100,000 track free), connect YouTube Music to your Google Home account and then Stream your own tracks from YouTube Music for free.

1 minute ago, IanR said:

So should be available to Cast to another Alexa device (the Wiim Mini or Pro) on the Network.

The Workaround for Google is to Upload your personal Library to YouTube Music (up to 100,000 track free), connect YouTube Music to your Google Home account and then Stream your own tracks from YouTube Music for free.

But new HA setup has no ngrok tunnel fudge ….

Your other suggestion might be better I suppose - though prefer not to upload my entire music collection to the cloud ( all legal of course , no copies or anything )