Auto balancing actuators- is 2 way valve needed

Hi,

we have UFH with auto balancing actuators, this was installed by the builder and then the plumber installed the boiler and connected up to the UFH manifold. The heating output water splits between up and downstairs with a simple Tee fitting. He installed 2 way valves on the pipes to both floors. Is the 2 way valve required before the manifold as I thought the auto balancing actuators would control the water flow and if the UFH has reached the correct temperature then they would all close and water wouldn’t flow.

Hopefully I have explained it clearly

A photo of the valve in question (or it's part number) might help, but I think you mean 2 port aka zone valve?

A 2 way valve (aka diverter or mid position valve) has 3 ports (pipes) but that wouldn't make sense here.

By correct temperature, do you mean water flow temperature or room at target temperature? Manifold actuators normally manage the latter. Water flow temperature is normally set at the heating source and/or via thermostatic mixing valve on the manifold pump. 

Zone valves to separate upstairs and downstairs are likely unneeded but not likely to be a huge issue to have them. Just a bit more wiring