Low voltage garden lighting

Hi everyone,

I’m starting to think about designing lighting for my garden. I’ve considered a mains powered system however I like the idea of being able to install myself and to be able to add to it in the future. I’m now considering a low voltage lighting system with elements of it plugged into mains sockets which I will get installed in the garden. 

I can’t find a definitive guide to best low voltage lighting products. Are there some good ones people can recommend and some avoid brands too?

I have Phillips hue lights in my house but they are very expensive. I do however love the fact you can control each light individually from your phone. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Ed

Hi, not much experience of garden lighting but when it comes to 12/24v lighting used outside on heavy equipment I can say that names and price tags mean nothing.  Red and white marker lights for example, think the ‘branded’ version are around £28ea and are garbage while the £4.50 made in China but bought from Poland are 100x better. Definitely worth trying a few depending on specific design or colour requirements etc.

6 minutes ago, markc said:

Hi, not much experience of garden lighting but when it comes to 12/24v lighting used outside on heavy equipment I can say that names and price tags mean nothing.  Red and white marker lights for example, think the ‘branded’ version are around £28ea and are garbage while the £4.50 made in China but bought from Poland are 100x better. Definitely worth trying a few depending on specific design or colour requirements etc.

Hmm thanks maybe I will buy a couple and see what they are like. I also need advice on length of runs etc. Is there a max length or can I just keep daisy chaining as long as I’m below approx 80% of the transformer power rating?