soakway regulations

hi all,

we finalised our single storey several months back, everything is ok. it has a flat roof (roughly 22sqm) and it has a downpipe on one side. the downpipe hasn't been connected to the sewer, as it's not a combined one (confirmed with Thames Water), but building control wants to see either an agreement (nope) or a soakway anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Long story short, I'm happy with a soakway, I just need some advice on regulations. What I have so far is 5m away from extension (no problem) and 2m away from boundary, though that doesn't seem to be enforced, anyone who had one dug it right next to the fence. 1 meter deep as well and I'll probably be using some plastic crates filled with pebbles or whatever the material is. Is there anything else I need to know or do? We do live on a flood plain, so I can imagine the water table is quite high, but the building control guy is quite experienced, so he wouldn't have suggested a soakway if he knew it's not workable in the area.

What about width/length? Worth mentioning that right now, the water from the roof is just draining next to the extension, next to the foundation (which is why I want it done properly asap), but the amount of water coming down is negligible. Even with the wild rains in recent days/weeks, we're talking a fairly small amount.

Any advice welcome, thank you!

Well you can go through the percolation test regime then calculate the storage capacity required using the formula in Approved Document H ( page 46) or use the even more painfull BRE Digest 365. Myself I'd speak to your BC officer and agree a sensible volume depending on the ground type. Start at say a metre cube and negotiate. Use crates wrapped in geotextile and surrounded in pea shingle/crushed stone. The crate remains empty ready to fill up with rainwater.

Building Inspectors tend to be very lax on this for a single house.

So I'd say that you suggest a 1m3 pit, That is as measured below the inlet.

If you fill it with rubble they may be happy.

The crates you mention are not filled with rubble. The whole point of them is that all the volume is available for water.

It will work better as a larger area and less deep, because of the exposed earth area.

Whether rubble or crates, surround it in geotextile, preferably 'nonwoven'. That stops muck getting in from the surrounding ground.

When it is done, check your first sewage bill. You will get a reduction for having no water to sewer.

59 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Building Inspectors tend to be very lax on this for a single house

I should have said 'in the congested SE of england, where there is nowhere for the water to go.

The Scottish system theoretically has the proposal approved by the Scottish environment protection authority (SEPA). They didn't disapprove anway.