Internorm windows - Fixed vs Opening internal seals

Meabh

Hi

Does anyone have images of their Internorm 3G (HF410) windows. In particular fixed windows so I can see the internal seal. It feels like we are missing something on these units.

Images attached - Our opening units are fine (and have a seal that looks clean and stops gunk getting stuck) but none of the fixed units have this and they are collecting tons of gunk (there is a small amount of internal condensation as we are recently weathertight but no MVHR/heating yet - screed this week and dehumifidier coming in). 

Thanks

Opening unit - sealed.JPG

Fixed units - no sealant.jpg

@Meabh I can’t see where the gunk is you’re referring to, can you elaborate?

We don’t have HF410’s but we do have fixed HX300’s so maybe a similar build up or our back door is an AT410, obviously that opens but otherwise maybe a similar build up?

If you can highlight your exact issue I can ‘compare and contrast’ for you. 

15 hours ago, Russdl said:

@Meabh I can’t see where the gunk is you’re referring to, can you elaborate?

We don’t have HF410’s but we do have fixed HX300’s so maybe a similar build up or our back door is an AT410, obviously that opens but otherwise maybe a similar build up?

If you can highlight your exact issue I can ‘compare and contrast’ for you. 

Many thanks - its the bit between the glass and the wood frame. Our opening units have a bead of silicone type material (top pic)  but the fixed units don't have that so there is a groove/dip between the glass and wood where gunk can collect (I cleaned this one!) They are factory sealed units so it's more a practical/hate cleaning issue and the fact they look different to the opening units.

Ah, ok. It looks like our windows are different then but if it helps here’s some pictures of ours. 

This is one of our frameless windows. 

IMG_2254.thumb.jpeg.e39674637d43e5a7fbc8616111f1459c.jpeg

and this is the back door.

IMG_2255.thumb.jpeg.535040e81580ea716c7a19a207075b83.jpeg

Condensation is always a feature for us when it’s particularly cold outside. The house has definitely dried out, my belief is it’s connected to the Enthalpy MVHR but the jury is still out on that one. 

10 hours ago, Meabh said:

Our opening units have a bead of silicone type material (top pic)  but the fixed units don't have that so there is a groove/dip between the glass and wood where gunk can collect (I cleaned this one!)

The first image is a fixed sash and the second and opening one. Both have the silicon bead between glass and frame.

image.thumb.png.b916da95261420780086a1df53daf9b3.png

image.thumb.png.bce4acfab33269f8dfe3ec7033554e52.png

• Like 1

Thanks - did they come with the silicone or was it done on site? I have something in there - but as we have black windows and black silicone it's tough to see. The one on the opening windows just looks so much neater and more practical (cleaning) than the site applied/hidden version int he fixed!

Just googled MVHR stuff - damn it I thought it was going to free us from a life of condensation on windows. 

Factory silicone for most of ours iirc. 

The condensation is a minor irritant that happens only occasionally and I think I’m the only one here with 3G windows that suffers from it - you’ll be fine. 

56 minutes ago, Meabh said:

Thanks - did they come with the silicone or was it done on site? 

Factory applied for me, although on another window the glass did have to come out so the silicone was reapplied and I can barely tell the difference.

With MVHR on we never get any condensation. 

Edited by IanR

As far as I'm aware, this is a dry sealed system (gasket) and not a wet sealed system. I've attached a snapshot from the YouTube video for this product.

12.png.b723e5adf58df92762fcaa65611aaf3a.png

On 11/01/2024 at 13:47, craig said:

As far as I'm aware, this is a dry sealed system (gasket) and not a wet sealed system. I've attached a snapshot from the YouTube video for this product.

12.png.b723e5adf58df92762fcaa65611aaf3a.png

Thanks Craig - that makes sense for the opening units. And it stops gunk collecting. Just don't get why the factory sealed fixed units don't have the same - they are sealed but the seal is lower than the wood and so gunk collects.