All rooms with 2 gang 2 way dimmer modules are causing led pendant and wall lights to flicker

nmh

Recently done a huge refurbishment of our Victorian semi and builder has done the electrics (could be the issue right there)!

We’ve put a lot of dimmer modules in from TLC https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SF2182MW.html and the builder has put 2 gang 2 way dimmer modules into rooms that only control the pendent/wall light with one switch. We have Astro and Pooky light fittings and they flicker. 

90% of the pendant LED bulbs flicker and in some cases even blow. Builder says dimmer modules just make lights flicker! 

We’re using a lot of these pendant kits with the dimmer module above: https://www.pooky.com/products/classic-pendant-light-kit-in-antiqued-brass?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2NLrzs_EgwMVQ_N3Ch3GKALLEAQYASABEgKKKvD_BwE 

We’ve tried about 3 x variants of LED bulbs and they still flicker. 

Interestingly on the ground floor we’re using G&H modules and they have worked without flickering bulbs: https://socketstore.co.uk/product/flat-polished-brass-unlacquered-led-dimmer-3-gang-419434

Any ideas what on earth might be going on - we’re at our wits end!!!????

7 minutes ago, nmh said:

the builder has put 2 gang 2 way dimmer modules

What do you mean by 2 gang 2 way?

Just that one faceplate controls two circuits?

Or do you have some circuits (lights) being controlled by two different switches? If this is the case, it could be a wiring issue in 2 way controls. These are easy to get wrong.

Otherwise it must just be poor quality dimmers

Btw the pendant kit is irrelevant, it's the compatibility between dimmer and bulb that is key and unfortunately there's no easy way to know what will work other than try it.

Or use the industry go to  "use a Varilight dimmer" answer

If you can take the same bulb as flickers on these dimmers and have them not flicker on another dimmer, you have your answer 

43 minutes ago, joth said:

What do you mean by 2 gang 2 way?

Just that one faceplate controls two circuits?

Or do you have some circuits (lights) being controlled by two different switches? If this is the case, it could be a wiring issue in 2 way controls. These are easy to get wrong.

Otherwise it must just be poor quality dimmers

Btw the pendant kit is irrelevant, it's the compatibility between dimmer and bulb that is key and unfortunately there's no easy way to know what will work other than try it.

Or use the industry go to  "use a Varilight dimmer" answer

If you can take the same bulb as flickers on these dimmers and have them not flicker on another dimmer, you have your answer 

One faceplate controlling 2 x circuits yes. Could well be poor wiring. I’ll change bulbs to see if it’s the dimmer

34 minutes ago, Mattg4321 said:

Knightsbridge dimmers are poor quality. 

I only fit Varilight V pro in general. They work well with 90% plus bulbs/fittings. 

OK - TLC Direct - here I come for a Knightsbridge refund! Shame - I liked their matt finish. But meaningless if they don’t work. 

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Dimmer switch must be LED compatible AND LED bulb must be "dimable"  If either are not, you will get flickering lights.

Yes - both switch and build are LED dimmable compatible 

22 hours ago, nmh said:

OK - TLC Direct - here I come for a Knightsbridge refund! Shame - I liked their matt finish. But meaningless if they don’t work. 

You could almost certainly keep the plate and just change the internals (module). 

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLJP400MOD.html?source=adwords&ad_position=&ad_id=&placement=&kw=&network=x&matchtype=&ad_type=pla&product_id=VLJP400MOD&product_partition_id=&campaign=shopping&version=finalurl_v3&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA7t6sBhAiEiwAsaieYqWrl83urJ3xjMQcgXvuTyO_q4sro0nKdZjBamuGj_j3ei7Ncl5wzxoCGZ4QAvD_BwE