Amps required for LED driver

Logan

My run of FCOB LED strip requires a 40A driver (3.3M length at 9W per m).

I didn’t take into account the length of LED cabling that I’m using to join the strips so it can run up and behind and units to be done in one continuous length. The length of cabling is 3.4m.

Total FCOB strip and cable = 6.7m

Do I need to take account of the cabling too or just the light strip length for my driver?

Using a built in dimmer switch so ideally want it all running from the same driver.

if you've ever read any of my threads then you'll know that I don't know much about electrics and lighting! but I have learnt quite a bit along the way. 🤣

it's my understanding that it's only the LED strip length for the driver but you'll have voltage drop over the entire length of cable and strip. although according to the figures I put in to https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Charts/VoltageDrop.html?ad_position=&source=adwords&ad_id=385479007812&placement=&kw=calculate cable size&network=g&matchtype=b&ad_type=&product_id=&product_partition_id=&campaign=ROAS_Cable&version=finalurl_v3 that's only a 1.5% voltage drop for the entire length cable so that should be fine. it says you should use 1mm cable.

hopefully someone else who knows what they're talking about will be along soon. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Logan said:

Cheers mate. The cable will be joining the strip so isn’t 1mm standard lighting cable - just the red and black thin ones. I’ve attached a pic. Don’t know if that changes things.

I honestly don't know. sorry!

I guess I probably should've asked the voltage of the led strip. I presumed it is 24V but I guess it could be 12V. 🤷‍♂️